Breastfeeding Community
Weaning tips?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Weaning tips?

My 9 month old is breastfed but with this pregnancy my nipples are starting to dry out and it's excruciating to say the least. But she would rather pull a hunger strike than drink from a bottle. I am at my wits end and need any tips to help her off the breast and onto the bottle. She eats table food but wants to nurse after eating it.
Give her the bottle and table food and refuse to let her have the breast. At least this way she'll eat something, and get some nutrients. She'll take the bottle when she's ready. Have you tried different nipples? Some bottles have fast flowing and slow flowing holes and I know a few kids that prefer one over the other.
Worded that wrong, give her the table food and when she wants to nurse give her the bottle and refuse the breast. Hold her close, she might just really like the bonding time that comes with nursing and she could think that the bottle means you want to be away from her.
And also, nipple creams are a heaven send!
I have the lansinoh or whatever it's called and it's not helping :( my mom said to put mustard on my nipples to make her reject it. Lol but I wanted to see what other moms do because my mom extended breast fed all of my siblings and myself. Lol but with my luck she will like the mustard lmao And I have tried holding her tight, swaddling her, she just hates the bottle. I just hate to see her cry but something's gotta give
There's a lansinoh bottle that's shaped like a boob, have you tried that? I was googling something last night and stumbled upon reviews of that bottle. Mothers were ecstatic because it was the only bottle their breastfed baby would take. I believe someone was in the exact situation as you and it helped tremendously.
I am totally checking that out
My friend just cut her baby off. For awhile her baby would reach in shirt, but she would tell her "we arent doing that anymore."  and give her a sippy cup. She eventually got over it, a little person only has so much will. Different methods for different moms.

I don't have the will power. My husband is only home very rarely so I don't have a lot of support. She cries and I give in
Awww. This might be one of those things you just gotta let her cry out though. I dont know if you totally against that method. Cause she will learn early that crying means I can get what I want.
Lol oh I know! And believe me i am trying to be strong lol! She is drinking from a bottle right now but is crying while drinking. :( so hard but she's almost asleep. She is not happy with me
Lol but the point is she is drinking from the bottle. Eventually she will be completely over then its on to the next thing.
Lol yep! I literally just texted my husband and was like omg she's taking the bottle! He called me and we did a victory cheer! Haha! Now I just have to keep it up.
Is it an option to have someone else offer a bottle?  With my kids getting them to accept a bottle it had to come from someone else.  We have had success with Dr. Browne bottles with all three kids.

Sorry about the dry nipples. Lansinoh worked for me... I have heard of people using their own milk to help heal their nipples. And I know this sounds odd, but if/when you can allow your boobs to be exposed to just the air - not wear a bra or anything.  When I'm getting ready for bed I get undressed then go through the night time routine (wash face/brush teeth). I get dressed last and that allows some time for fresh air!