Breastfeeding Community
Weaning to formula and poop! :)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Weaning to formula and poop! :)

My daughter will be 11 months old shortly and I will have to go back to work in a month so I'm dropping a feed a week and switching it with formula.
Almost this whole time while EBF she has had constipation issues and would only poop once every few days. Then it was every other day.
Now that I've been giving her formula for about a week...she poops a couple times a day!! Is that normal? It's just so surprising to me! lol
Breast milk is very digestible and because of this breast fed babies often go several days between bowel movements. When my daughter was exclusively breast fed she would go 10 days between bowel movements, once she began solids she went every two days or so, as long as bowel movements are soft  and pass easily the frequency is not usually a problem. Infrequent bowel movements and constipation are not necessarily the same thing...my eldest suffers terribly from constipation..he can go once or twice a day but his bowel movements are extremely hard and dry and painful for him to pass.
I just find it odd that she was so constipated while I was breastfeeding and on solids and it was definitely constipation because she had movements where they were so hard that she would bleed :( Poor thing. I started giving her flax in some foods she ate and it made it so much better. I was nervous about the iron in the formula but I guess it's not binding her which is nice.
I'm just not used to an everyday, sometimes twice a day pooper I guess! lol
Awe poor thing, well she must be feeling a lot better to be going more regularly. We give our son flax every day too, it really helps.
Can i go off your subject and ask how u got ur baby off breast and onto bottle? My daughters 21 weeks old and ive not left her yet because im worried that if she was hungry i wouldnt be there! Weve tried wirh a bottle but she just chews on it lol
I tried EVERYTHING and the flax is the only thing that worked for her! It's amazing stuff!

emmaftm- with my daughter she wasn't very partial to bottles when I would go out and stuff. When I'd come back, she would practically attack me and want me to nurse her. I tried pumped milk and formula and she just wouldn't drink it. So I tried different bottles, still nothing. Finally I realized that I have a fast let down so I opened up the hole in the nipple more and she's been chugging the bottles back! Kinda weird but it makes sense.

With my son it was more of an issue with bottles. We needed to find the right one for him. It's a lot of trial and error for some and a breeze for others! It also helps if you are no where around when she is given a bottle. They can smell you! lol
Ive been told by family who have bf that i cant be anywhere around but i dont want to leave her if shes not going to eat lol i think i have a fast let down because when ive hand expressed a couple of times to release pressure i can get 3 oz in 10 min when friends have said its taken them about an hour to get that :-s.....
I dont want to leave her but i know im going to have to incase i have to go back to work or in an emergency! She needs to know (and so do i) that she will be ok and that mummy will be coming back!!
For those of mine that had formula, I always had the opposite problem in that mine would get constipated on the formula due to the iron.  I used to get a low iron formula.  So I am as surprised as you are about the formula but like others said, the formula isn't digest the same as breast milk is.