Breastfeeding Community
What is the right way????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

What is the right way????

So I am EBF my third baby right now and he is just over 3 weeks old. When I had my first baby, the health nurse who had helped me breastfeeding told me that I HAD to offer both breasts to him. So I did.  When he was 3 weeks old we moved to another province which meant a new health nurse visit to check up on him. When we talking about BF, she said NOT to offer both breasts, but only one. So I did that until he was no longer BF and I also did that with my second. Now onto my third baby, a health nurse once again said to offer both breasts. So I did. Now, tonight I did some reading online and it said I should only offer one breast per feeding to make sure the baby isn't only drinking the foremilk by switching breasts, but getting the hindmilk as well.

So my question is..... What is right and what is wrong??? And why do health nurses have different answers to the same questions????
Well it varies from woman to woman, baby to baby and even feeding to feeding. With my babies, for the most part one breast per feed has been the best way to do it., switching sides with my first resulted in no weight gain and green poop for baby for nearly three weeks due to the exact reason you described; too little hind milk. I always allow baby to nurse one side until they refuse that breast ( will mean they are either done or breast is empty) then offer the other side. More often than not the other side is refused, sometimes baby will spend a few minutes at the second breast; during growth spurts or even hot weather if baby is thirsty. Always start the next feed with this second breast.
For some women they have to use both breasts each time because their 'capacity' means they have to.
Bottom line is you can offer both breasts, just don't assume that you 'have' to switch mid feed, follow babies cues as to if and when they might want the second side.
Good luck.
Good luck.
I never even knew this! I was always told to offer both breasts, so I feed her from one side until it softens or she gets "lazy" sucking and then I'll burp her and switch sides and she'll eat there as long as she feels like it. I've never had an issue? How would I know if the way I'm doing it is affecting her? Weight loss?
I also have to do both breasts because if I only offer one, then by the time her next feeding my unoffered breast is so full and uncomfortable, that's the only way to avoid it!
I read that if the baby only eats foremilk her BM will be green in color with a slimy texture and not yellow like it should be. They also say that foremilk can make a baby gassy and it will also run through their systems faster, making them have a BM right after a feeding.
Hmm.. Chloe's BM's are always yellowish/orange, but definitely the watery slimy texture.. She also has BM's CONSTANTLY, her ped. said it was normal because she's BF she'll have more BM's than a formula fed baby. She's not gassy I wouldn't say, she burps between feedings that's about it for gassy. I wonder if I should stop switching breasts!! It just makes the unoffered breast so painful!
If she is doing good I wouldn't change a thing.

Ryan poops lots too, but his last couple were green and that's why I looked online.
Well thanks for the information, I never knew anything about fore or hind milk at all!
I didn't either until last night.
I offer both and always have, you can tell when the fore milk has finished and the baby is onto the himd milk because the way they suck changes, they actually have to work at getting the milk out  so their sucking motion will be different, the reason for the fore milk is to put something in their stomachs quick so it settles them down for a full feed, thats why they tend to choke sometimes when they first go on, the hind milk is the milk with all the fat in it and thats what keeps them full, if your just giving them fore milk as pp have said they will tend to be gassy and their poo is green and slimey/fluffy, a good 20-30 min on the first side(sometimes abit longer)  then offer the second works for me :)
If you have a content baby, with normal breastfeed poo's ( yellow, mustard, brown, seedy, liquid) then everything is fine no need to change anything. If baby has poor weight gain and green foamy or slimy poops then keeping baby on the first breast longer would be recommended.
And in the early days and weeks poo at every feed is normal, this gradually reduces and normal for a breast fed baby can be anything from several soiled diapers a day to only one a week or more. At first my baby went several times a day, by 4 months she only pooped once every 7- 14 days. Now she has started solids it is sometimes every other day sometimes two or three times a day.
I EBF my little guy.... He only ever nursed one side per feeding. Mind you I pretty much only made whipcream, lol (words of my pediatrician as he was gaining a pound a week for the first 2-3 months and a pond every 2 weeks till like 6 months... Lol)  but what ever works for you. If your having supply issues then try both sides if not dont worry. I didnt even pump, I didnt want to increase my supply...
For the last day and a half I have only been offering the one breast per feeding and I have noticed a change. He sleeps better, not gassy and no fussy time at night. Lets see if it stays the same tonight!!!