Breastfeeding Community
Work and Breastfeeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Work and Breastfeeding

So Im looking into breast pumps and my sister pops the odd fact to me that I might want to ask my boss whether he will let me pump at work as needed or not. According to her I will be wanting to pump at work due to how painful my breasts will be. Something about "engorging" I think? Anyway... in the event that the idea doesnt fly with my boss - the whole thing of me using a pump at work as needed - what should I do? Will I end up drying out? I personally dont like the idea of pumping at work anyway... there is NOTHING sanitary at a gas station, I work at one and it makes my skin crawl the crap we do there to give the "illusion" of being clean and sanitary...
By law employers have to give you time to pump. Depending on how long your workday is, you won'tbe able to go through the full day without pumping or breastfeeding if you wanr to keep your supply. I pump 5 times.a week, its a little inconvenient but it isn't terribly bad.
Usually 6-8 hrs is a shift for me
You're gonna want to pump twice during an 8 hour shift, three in the beginning if you can swing it. If ithere really isnt a good place for you to pump I'd get a car adapter and pump in my car. Keeping your production up is really going to depend on you being able to pump often enough at work.
Pump in my car... thats going to be interesting. I need to find a new job is my problem >_< I dont think there will be much privacy found in my car with how crazy some of the customers are.
I know women who do it but they have fairly secluded parking spots and use a nursing cover while doing it just in case somebody walks by.
Yeah there arent any secluded places for me to park at work. And with how unpredictable some of my coworkers are if I get stuck working by myself Im screwed. Im not sure if Im going to be able to breastfeed past 6wks at this rate...
Is there a chance I could still make it if I pump before going to work then after?
You might be able to keep it up for a while but I wouldn't plan on it lasting long. Do the best you can. If you can only nurse for 6 weeks just know you did what you could and plenty of babies get formula and are perfectly healthy.
Maybe I can pump and breastfeed? Build up a supply to be used when Im not home then when I come home I can breastfeed or just pump some more and add to the supply in between feedings until I dry out? How long does breastmilk last when frozen or however we're supposed to save it?
http://breastfeeding.hypermart.net/storagehandling.html

that's a good link on storage of breastmilk. I think it's a great idea to pump, pump as much as you can while you're at work, get a nursing cover and do it that way, anything is better than nothing, but it's true, I can't go 8 hours without pumping, my boobs will leak terrible, they won't get engorged but they will leak like crazy. by 6 weeks you should be past the painful engorgement unless it's a realllllly long time. You can also pump a supply to be fed while at work, pump while at work and add that to your supply, and then ONLY breastfeed when you get home, so your body may adjust to not needing to produce much during your shift hours, but you can still easily BF when you're done work as long as you continue only BF'ing after work.. you will keep producing milk as long as you're BF'ing and pumping, I wouldn't give up on the idea at 6 weeks simply because you have to return to work, many many moms do it, meet with a LC or google La Leche League consultants in your area, it's free and it's breastfeeding support, they may give you some tips that can help!
Frozen 4-6 months depending on if its a normal freezer or deep freezer.
By law, your employer has to provide a spot to use a pump, other than a bathroom.  I pump at work and am able to do it right at my desk. In the past I have used a storage closet, b/c really, all I need is a chair and an outlet. I have a friend who was able to pump in her car - she would just drive to a remote location in a parking garage and hang out in the back seat on her lunch hour.  

I would highly recommend a 'double electric' pump.  I have a hand-me-down Medela pump, I just bought new parts and it's been great.