Breastfeeding Community
Worried Any advice?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Worried Any advice?

My daughter is 3 weeks old. I`m braestfeeding her. I have noticed a green colored stool and I think she is hungry. I`m very worried for my milk supply. I feed her every 2 hours. What can I do to improve my milk production? Do I need to pump after feeding her?  
why do you think she's hungry? how long does she feed off of one side?

green stool can be normal- my baby had it often. however, frothy green stool can be indicative of a foremilk/hindmilk inbalance.

The following is from http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/pediatricks/poop.asp
Green, frothy stools
This can be a result of a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance. A true imbalance is rare. It is often seen accompanying a forceful letdown. Lactation consultants will help moms find a nursing pattern which works to combat this problem.  If letdown it too forceful in the early weeks, the solution can be to allow milk to leak into a cloth diaper during letdown, then latch baby back on.  Feeding two to three times off the same side may also show improvement. Caution should be used with same side feeding as it can decrease supply.
Green stool for pediatrician means that the baby is hungry. The last two days my little girl was very nervous and she asked to feed her very often. That`s why I think my milk production isn`t enough for her needs. Today I tried to improve my water and food intake and I hope things will come to normal like it was before. Her stool isn`t frothy. It is light yelow to bright green. Also she have colics.
Thanks for the web site. Helped me very much.
see if you can get her to nurse longer from one breast. you may have to keep waking her. if it is an imbalance it would be because she is not emptying one side enough. the hindmilk is what is thicker and more nutritious. if you are worried about your supply, you can have her nurse for a long time from one side, and pump the other. Make sure you alternate the side you nurse from.

i have never heard of a pediatrician saying green stools mean hungry. newborn stools are often yellow and green- it is normal, especially for breastfed babies. the pediatrician should be more concerned about how she is gaining weight. i'm not sure how common breast feeding is in Albania. Is it common? Would the pediatrician know much about it? It is also very normal for a newborn to feed frequently.

My son had frequent green stools during his first and second month.  I was also very worried and read everything regarding foremilk and hindmilk inbalance.  I tried lots of things: nursing from one breast only, pumping the first (more watery) milk out... Also, my son was hungry very often.  I was feeding every hour or hour and a half.  Then one day they just stopped coming and his poop is always mustard color now.  

During his first months, he was gaining weight so in the end I stopped worrying. Ultimately, I think every baby poops differently and sometimes what is abnormal for one is perfectly normal for the other.
I agree, nurse her at least 15-20 minutes per breast and if she is still hungry switch to the other breast. During the first several months of life infants undergo tremendous growth spurts. During these growth spurts they will increase their intake and frequency of nursing. My boys would often nurse ever hour throughout the day and night in an effort to meet their nutritional needs.

I believe your pediatrician may be ill-informed and perhaps not giving completely accurate advice. Continue nursing for a longer period of time per breast and see if the stool balances out. Also consider what you may be eating as it relates to the color of your infant's stool. Sometimes I would notice their stool would take on the color of the foods in my diet.

A normal breastfed stool with nothing added (ie formula or any solids) would typically have a yellow to greenish-yellow and seedy appearance. It would vary. Most important at this age is the number of wet diapers and that is a better indicator of volume as well as weight gain.
I agree with AndiJ78.  

Also, my youngest developed a green stool when I ate eggs, so I eliminated those from my diet while breastfeeding. We watched her closely when we introduced eggs into her diet when she was old enough, however she did not have an allergy to them when she ate them herself.  You may want to analyze your diet to see if dairy, wheat, nuts, etc. may be causing the reaction. Best wishes.
Thank you all for your posts. Helped me very much. Today I had appt with pediatrician and my little girl is gaining weight and that is more important. Also today the stool is yellow. I hope she will be fine.