Breastfeeding Community
amount of milk

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

amount of milk

I have been exclusively BF my 8 week old daughter. Since she was 3 maybe 4 weeks I started pumping to build my supply. I still only get 1/2-1 oz on a good day from my left breast but 2-3 from the right. They have always been a cup size different. Is there a way I can help increase it to even things out supply wise. I don't mind the different size breasts (would be nice if they were the same though).

I try to offer the left breast 1st. I stay hydrated (eventhough I get so thirsty when nursing and pumping). I eat oatmeal every morning. I'm now on a routine of pumping 2 times a day and once in the night (she now sleeps 6-7 hours). I'll be going back to work in October.

Could it be producing less because of the breast size breasts(my reading says no)? And what does a clogged duct feel like? I would rather hear from a real mom than some post online. Thanks!
There is a misunderstand here. Milk supply naturally increases as the baby's demand increases. You don't have to apply any special means to secure this extra output, unless you have a specific problem.

Instead of concentrating on how much milk you are producing, look to your baby. Is she thriving? Is she nice and plump. Is her flesh firm and her eyes bright? If the answer to all of these questions is yes, then there is nothing to be concerned about. Drink plenty of fluids, get a lot of sleep, and eat well. And - relax! This is a wonderful time of your life. Sit back and enjoy it.
Correction to first sentence. It should read, "There is a misunderstanding here."
A clogged duct will hurt.  It doesn't sound like you have a clogged duct -- you would mention the pain and other symptoms first thing if you did.

Along with the oatmeal, stay quite hydrated, drink non-alcoholic beer, and drink Mother's Milk tea if you can get it.  Your baby will let you know by her appearance and weight gain if the amount of milk she is getting is enough.
I appreciate your time responding. She isn't plump but she is gaining weight. The pediatrician would like her to gain more. Overall she is 8 ounces more than her birth weight. She is very alert following her surroundings (balloon mobile people etc). I know she is doing okay I just don't understand how one side can produce a fraction of what the other breast does. I'll try adding the Mother's Milk tea. Thank you
I can understand her doctor wanting her to gain more weight. Has he suggested supplementing with formula?
We have just recently been supplementing 4 oz of formula a day. I break it up into two feelings and offer it after a nursing session. He said it will be her only was of consuming vitamin D as well. Good news is that she went from 6.7 at birth to 5.15 at her first check up to now 7.4. She's gaining but slowly.
I am glad to hear that your baby is gaining weight and your doctor is wise to have you supplement with formula. In the early weeks my babies gained very fast and now yours will do the same.
Not sure 4oz a day will give the baby enought vitmines D. Might want to ask your pedi about that.
That's what was recommended 4oz a day. She seems more satisfied and sleeps longer but I still get up to pump because I'm going back to work in Oct (not by choice). Breaks my heart thinking about it.
My understanding is that baby who drinking less than 32 oz of formula will need extra vitmines D supplement. I start giving that to my LO since she turn one month per doctor's order. Maybe ask your pedi on your next visit.
Btw I have uneven boobs too but hey as long as our babies are getting fat :)
Is that 32oz a week? I will be sure to ask if the 4oz a day is enough. May have to do with her weight. My little peanut is now 7lbs 4oz.

Hahaha glad to know I'm not the only uneven breastfeeder!

Thank you again for the advice.