Breastfeeding Community
baby's growth
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

baby's growth

how much is a breastfeed 4 month old supposed to weigh? Do our (breastfed) children use the same growth chart as formula fed babies?
Please see my journal.
Related Discussions
6 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1806883_tn?1407811249
there is no set-hard rule on how much they are supposed to weigh, as long as they're feeding well and are putting on weight everything should be ok. They have in the past used the same growth chart, but there have been grumblings about changing that as bottle feed babies tend to put on more weight, so it looks like breastfeeding babies are not doing as well, which of course they are, the charts that they use at the moment are based on bottle feeds, as that was the most poipular way of feeding when the charts were done
Blank
here is a link for normal growth chart for breastfed babies. This website below is also a great resource for anything breastfeeding related. If this doesn't allow me to post the like I will send you a private message.

http://************/babyconcerns/growth/weight-gain.html
Blank
OK the part of the link with ** is kelly mom . com :)
Blank
231441_tn?1333896366
Hi,

Mothers are put under way too much pressure regarding baby's growth.  

Breastfed babies tend to gain weight more quickly in the first few months, and thereafter more slowly than formula fed babies.  Genetics also play a role in how fast children grow.

Key is that your baby is having frequent wet and dirty nappies (mind you breast fed babies also poop less than formula fed babies after the first few months - this is becuase breast milk is so optimal that there is less waste - if breastfed baby has poops less often than once a day that is also ok).

As long as baby is alert and active, that is also key to know that they are doing well.
Blank
My son will be 4 months on the 15 and is already weighing 15 lbs.  It all has to do with how there genes are I think and how often they eat.  He eats on demand not according to the clock.  She is good in size I think.
Blank
171768_tn?1324233699
I am a bit surprised as well that he would be concerned about weight when she has tripled her birth weight.

My LC also explained that current weight charts are based on formula fed babies and not breastfed.

If she is nursing well, I would hesitate to start her on bland solids so early on. It will ultimately interfere with nursing and I am not sure it would accomplish healthy weight gain.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breastfeeding Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank