blood in spit up
My 4 day old daughter just finished nursing this morning i burped her then changed her she had a poopy diaper and peed as i was changing her. then as i was going to lay her down she spit up again this time it was a brownish red color with a little bit of blood in it. it was maybe a tablespoon of spit up and like 2 or three streaks of blood in it what could this mean or be?
since it was in the spit-up, most likely it's a little blood from you. You may have a little sore or cut on your nipple, which is common early on in nursing. It is harmless to the baby. To help heal your nipple, you can apply some lanolin between sessions, or simply rub a little expressed milk on your nipples and let it dry. Breastmilk has some impressive healing and antibiotic properties. If nursing is very painful (more than the first minute of it) you may want to have the baby's latch evaluated by a nurse or lactation consultant.
I think tired is right. I had blood blisters on my nipples in the first couple of days because of poor latching.
Yes-this happened to us and it was from me. The lactation consultants told me that blood won't hurt the baby but I couldn't stand the thought of that. It was due to a very poor latch. I had to stop nursing on the sore side and lather lots of lanolin on my nipple, then pump until I healed. Are you sore?
This happened to me with my first and I rushed him to the ER, they even put a tube down his throat! I was so upset when they relized I was nursing him and then looked closer at my nipples. I did not even know they were bleeding! I felt like a bad mum for putting him through that! Now I know:(

Nothing to worry about the dr said and the blood wioll not hurt them in any way.