breast feeding and alcohol
hi, in planning to breast feed and wondered if it means you shouldnt drink alcohol or any others things you should avoid eating also? Thanks
if you choose to consume alcohol, you would probably want to consult your OB or lactation consultant in regards to how much is safe. There are many different opinions on this out there, and it is a hot topic. Personally, I was told the occasional drink is safe. I had asked my ped, OB and LC. If you are actually going out and drinking, you do have the option of giving the baby pumped milk, or some moms choose to do occasional bottles of formula.
If you are breastfeeding and you are planning on drinking then you should not feed the baby, You would need to pump and dump it.
As TBH mentioned, this is a very hot-button issue. However, there are safer ways to imbibe, just make sure you ask your OB, the baby's pediatrician, and a lactation consultant just to get clear parameters. If choose to do so, I recommend pumping and dumping in an effort to keep your production on schedule. If I missed even one feeding for any reason, it took me a day or two to get my supply back on track.

yes a very hot topic.  

Most sources I've seen indicate that very light social drinking (ie. a glass of wine with dinner) is perfectly fine.

However, if you are going out 'drinking'  and getting drunk then the pump and dump is probably better.

I personallly do have a drink from time to time, and enjoy it very much, but never to the stage of feeling any effect from the alchol.
Also if your unsure of the alcohol level in the milk there are test strips that are sold at babies r us and target etc. that let you know if the milk if good or not.
A beer or glass of wine is fine but drunk is not