breast feeding and formula?
Okay so with my last pregnancy I breastfed for a month and stopped cause I couldnt produce enough milk to fill up my son. So I was wondering if you can breast feed and if they arent full give em formula to fill em up? I just feel like imma have the same problem again :( I want my daughter to get the vitamins shes suppose to get from breast milk but I want her full too! Help.
Yeah its perfectly fine to do that. Usually the baby has a hard time switching between breast and bottle since they learn that the bottle is much easier to use so they tend to get lazy. I had the same problem with my son so this time I am going to breastfeed my little girl until she really gets it down before I introduce the bottle. I am also going to get the special bottles that are more shaped like the breast since I really want to breastfeed until she is about five or six months old
Most breastfeeding go through this I've found. You are making enough for your baby, it's usually a growth spurt that will make you question your supply or if your baby is getting enough. If he/she is eating CONSTANTLY (I'm going through it right now) it's likely a growth spurt, and it will pass. If you're BF'ing and your baby is getting 6-8 wet diapers a day, and gaining weight, he/she is getting enough, so don't question your supply and keep doing only the breast. You can definitely switch between the 2 if you need to, but supplementing will only decrease your milk supply. The best thing to do is just breastfeed and push through the ALWAYS starving and boobs feel deflated and empty phase. My daughter literally will eat every 30 minutes to an hour right now and still seem starving, she's gaining weight great, she's getting enough wet diapers, so she's doing fine. At about 3-4 weeks and 6-7 weeks they go through growth spurts. You can also take mothers milk tea, fenugreek, blessed thistle, and pump between feedings to increase your supply. I've found feeding my daughter from one side and pumping from the other is really really helping my supply. I breastfed my son and quit about 4 weeks because I didn't think he was getting enough, and look back now it was just a growth spurt, so I'm trying to push through it this time! My doctor said it's very rare for a woman to not produce enough milk. Good luck hun!
I also agree with donnabaker, my son didn't really get the switch between bottle and breast and was introduced the bottle way too early, he didn't want to latch after he realized how easy the bottle was, my daughter has been a GREAT bf'er so she's been able to use bottle (pumped) and pacifiers since about a week old, so I'd wait and see how your baby does, if he/she is breastfeeding good then you can introduce a bottle or pacifier whenever, if not then I'd wait til at least 4 weeks.
Okay sounds good! My son didnt latch on when I was trying to breastfeed either :/ so then I strated pumping and I was pumping every hour and would only get an ounce and a half on each breast. :/ I hope it does work.
My son never latched well, my daughter latched awesome! Every baby is different, hopefully your little girl will latch good. I pumped a TON with my first and it seriously decreased my supply. And actually getting an oz and a half each breast is really really good. I'm lucky if I can get that now. sometimes I can barely get a half an oz out of each breast, maybe a drop sometimes, some women just can't pump, I seem to be one of them this time, my first time around I could pump 3-4ozs each breast.
Yes, you can both breastfeed and give formula. That is what I did when I was weaning mine. The babies didn't seem to care, as long as they got enough to eat.
Okay sounds great! Thank you so much for the advise. Im on wic so hopefully they understand my situation but im definitely gona try breastfeeding first and see if its definitely different!