Breastfeeding Community
breastfeeding and ovulation
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

breastfeeding and ovulation

My partner and I are ready to start trying for baby number two but because my son is still breastfed my cycle is all over the place. I have only got my period 3 times in the past year and they were at complete random times. My question is how do i know when I'm ovulating if I can't calculate it by when I get my period??
12 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
2020005_tn?1404435525
sometimes you dont ovulate while bfing or its very irregular, i would ask your ob/gyn.
Blank
889551_tn?1331946140
I've heard of some women dropping nighttime feelings and their cycles resumed. Then other women don't ovulate at all while bfing. It just really depends on your body. Try charting your bbt an see when/if you're ovulating. But if you've only had three cycles you're ovulating very irregularly.
Blank
757137_tn?1347200053
How old is your baby? Is he ready to be weaned?
Blank
Bub just turned one but I don't plan on weaning till he is two. Has anyone used those ovulation testing stick that look like pregnancy tests?
Blank
287071_tn?1365196113
I agree with the other posts above. With still nursing periods can be unpredictable.  Mine came back and were pretty regular while I was nursing.  took a while to start, but once my period did start while nursing, it was regular.  while trying to get pregnant i did use ovulation sticks - also did a basal temperature and that worked really well.  Are you familiar with that at all?  I would chart my basal temp (take temp while still in bed when waking first thing).  when it spiked, i was ovulating.  that worked for us!
Blank
2020005_tn?1404435525
i used ovulation sticks, i got pregnant with my daughter with them but it needs to be done daily and with irregular few and far between cycles it may get expensive, i might look into basal temps like diane said. i also found tracking cervical mucus/ovulation cramps coincided with my + ovulation tests so you can watch for that.
Blank
Thanks for the advice ladies. I have heard that to take a basal temp I have to have 5 straight hours of sleep before taking it... Is that true? I wake up a lot through the night/early morning... Will that effect it?
Blank
2020005_tn?1404435525
It's very variable, I actually read somewhere it was 6-7 hours straight, and it should be taken at the exact same time every morning and I also heard vaginally was more accurate.. you may want to do some research on how to do it and do it correctly.
Blank
287071_tn?1365196113
If you google 'basal temp' all kinds of info will come up with the best way to do it. It's been so long since I did that I don't remember recommendations about how many hours of sleep.  I would take my oral temp when i first woke up, before getting out of bed or anything every day.  I definitely noticed a spike when I would ovulate.  Best of luck!

And as a side note, I'm not sure it's recommended to be pregnant and breastfeeding at the same time.  I got pregnant while still nursing my son and my supply took a HUGE hit.  My son had just turned one, so I was able to stop nursing easily at that point.  I'd check with your dr though about being being pregnant and still nursing.
Blank
2020005_tn?1404435525
yes diane, my doctor (OB) warned me if I got pregnant, well he "advised" me to stop BF'ing as it causes uterine contractions that may affect your pregnancy, and the uterine lining may not be back to normal if you're still having irregular cycles, which is a greater risk for a miscarriage, but i'm sure women have done it.
Blank
I have an appointment to see my doctor next week so I'll ask her what she thinks. I have afew friends who are pregnant and still breastfeeding all at different stages and only one of them has notices a drop in supply so I will just have to wait and see how I go :) thanks again everyone for all the great feedback
Blank
287071_tn?1365196113
Best of luck with things!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breastfeeding Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity