Breastfeeding Community
breastfeeding and ovulation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

breastfeeding and ovulation

My partner and I are ready to start trying for baby number two but because my son is still breastfed my cycle is all over the place. I have only got my period 3 times in the past year and they were at complete random times. My question is how do i know when I'm ovulating if I can't calculate it by when I get my period??
sometimes you dont ovulate while bfing or its very irregular, i would ask your ob/gyn.
I've heard of some women dropping nighttime feelings and their cycles resumed. Then other women don't ovulate at all while bfing. It just really depends on your body. Try charting your bbt an see when/if you're ovulating. But if you've only had three cycles you're ovulating very irregularly.
How old is your baby? Is he ready to be weaned?
Bub just turned one but I don't plan on weaning till he is two. Has anyone used those ovulation testing stick that look like pregnancy tests?
I agree with the other posts above. With still nursing periods can be unpredictable.  Mine came back and were pretty regular while I was nursing.  took a while to start, but once my period did start while nursing, it was regular.  while trying to get pregnant i did use ovulation sticks - also did a basal temperature and that worked really well.  Are you familiar with that at all?  I would chart my basal temp (take temp while still in bed when waking first thing).  when it spiked, i was ovulating.  that worked for us!
i used ovulation sticks, i got pregnant with my daughter with them but it needs to be done daily and with irregular few and far between cycles it may get expensive, i might look into basal temps like diane said. i also found tracking cervical mucus/ovulation cramps coincided with my + ovulation tests so you can watch for that.
Thanks for the advice ladies. I have heard that to take a basal temp I have to have 5 straight hours of sleep before taking it... Is that true? I wake up a lot through the night/early morning... Will that effect it?
It's very variable, I actually read somewhere it was 6-7 hours straight, and it should be taken at the exact same time every morning and I also heard vaginally was more accurate.. you may want to do some research on how to do it and do it correctly.
If you google 'basal temp' all kinds of info will come up with the best way to do it. It's been so long since I did that I don't remember recommendations about how many hours of sleep.  I would take my oral temp when i first woke up, before getting out of bed or anything every day.  I definitely noticed a spike when I would ovulate.  Best of luck!

And as a side note, I'm not sure it's recommended to be pregnant and breastfeeding at the same time.  I got pregnant while still nursing my son and my supply took a HUGE hit.  My son had just turned one, so I was able to stop nursing easily at that point.  I'd check with your dr though about being being pregnant and still nursing.
yes diane, my doctor (OB) warned me if I got pregnant, well he "advised" me to stop BF'ing as it causes uterine contractions that may affect your pregnancy, and the uterine lining may not be back to normal if you're still having irregular cycles, which is a greater risk for a miscarriage, but i'm sure women have done it.
I have an appointment to see my doctor next week so I'll ask her what she thinks. I have afew friends who are pregnant and still breastfeeding all at different stages and only one of them has notices a drop in supply so I will just have to wait and see how I go :) thanks again everyone for all the great feedback
Best of luck with things!