Breastfeeding Community
brestfeeding??? idk??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

brestfeeding??? idk??

Right now I'm only 9 wks 3days and I've heard lots of things from friends and family but I'm still not sure if I want to or not, I was a bottle fed baby so was my sister and mom, I wasent able to be on regular formula when I was a baby because I was lactouse sensitive, I want to be able to go back to work at soon as possible because I can't afford to be out that long my boyfriend dosent make enough.My boyfriend wants me to breast feed,I guess what I'm asking is what is ur opinion.. I've heard you can pump and send bottles with them to daycare, but I just don't know... help please!!
Hi JoJo Bean! It's great that you are weighing out your options and beating the odds since you weren't breastfed! You have definitely hit the right spot to help make your choice about breastfeeding. I know you wanted opinions, and we are here to give both, but first the facts.

My favorite thing to do is to help moms w/ their decision to breastfeed (it's what I do for a living) and now that 3/4 moms are initiating breastfeeding, my job has become super easy and fun!

After 9 months of hearing "don't do this, don't eat that, don't drink this", moms are desperate for their body back! And you can get it back not only physically, but less restricting as well.

One of the reasons moms are so happy to breastfeed is because we are all going GREEN. Since you have discussed your concerns about returning to work. I want to tell you how breastfeeding will help you with work. First, most employers are happy their employees breastfeed since moms miss less work  since they are stuck home w/ sick baby less (since breast milk protects baby w/ antibodies, anti-parasites, anti-viruses, anti-allergies, has growth factors, hormones, enzymes, PLUS perfect nutrition, making it an immunization + nutrition; whereas formula is only nutrition). Another reason it's going to make work better is because physically you will be more fit since moms look forward to burning up to 500 calories/day just by breastfeeding. It doesn't stop there... Since breastfeeding causes to uterus to contract, moms look at a flatter tummy, less bleeding, and may not have a period at all after the post-partum bleeding! (which will be less than a formula feeding mom)
Now that breastfeeding has become so popular (3/4 moms will initiate), we have made laws not only to protect breastfeeding mothers in the workplace, but also to protect us to breastfeed openly in public.

If you have money concerns, you may just take one look at formula prices and make your decision right away! Breastfeeding is totally free and is the best choice for every mother and every baby. And you're right! You can pump and send the pumped bottles to daycare (make sure they know how to properly handle, thaw, and store milk). Anytime you have questions about how to store, thaw, and handle the milk you can ask us. We will be more than happy to help you though your breastfeeding journey.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and welcome to the breastfeeding community!
Thanks mature enough!!! That's a lot of good information!! Probley going to write that stuff down with the other stuff I have in my pregnancy journal!!
I think it's really neat that you are keeping a prenancy journal. :)
Thanks its the only way I can keep everything straight
I agree on the formula prices!! I looked yesterday just to see and for a small can at walmart it was 14 bucks!!!!  I can tell u from my experience(bf all 3 of my kids)  that it was such a rewarding experience knowing I was giving them something no one else can. Mature had some great points all are accurate. Good luck to I.
When I go back to work which will be as soon as possible is it okay to do breast feeding/ pumping when I can and formula when I can't, like if I didn't send enough when at daycare and so on??
You can do both... it doesn't have to be all or nothing with breastfeeding. Any breastmilk your baby gets is a boost.

Just today, on my way home, I heard a news report about infant feeding. They discussed how the AAP now recommends bfing until at least a year. They then went on to say that it is not to say that formula feeding is bad. The news report said formula is "adequate" and "not harmful." Since when do we strive for adequate and not harmful for our children?!? Of course we are very fortunate to live in a time where we have not harmful options for our babies if breastfeeding doesn't work... but it certainly makes one want to at least give it a try.

The news story led me to check the AAP's recommendations on breastfeeding. It does seem like they have updated, and the following page has some good information: http://www.aap.org/breastfeeding/faqsbreastfeeding.html

But to answer your question, many women do both formula and breastmilk. Some do encounter some difficulties with digestive problems, nipple confusion, etc, but most do not. I'd definitely give it a try. I was able to pump enough to give breast milk exclusively for 8 months to my first and 11 months for my second. Beyond that, I did have to include some formula bottles. They both did well.

What kind of company do you work for? Do you know of anyone else who pumped? If you work fulltime, you will probably have to pump twice during the work day to maintain your supply in the first 2 or 3 months. Beyond that, many people can successfully drop down the number of pumps when away from baby. After 12 weeks, your supply regulates and becomes more based on supply and demand. After that point, many women can nurse only at home and formula feed when away from baby if pumping at work isn't feasible.
I work at McDonald's :'( not the best place to breastfeed
Do they have an office you can use?  I would ask them if u could use it.  One of my bf pumped and breastfed her son for 6 months and my cousin exclusively pumps no formula feeds at all and her baby is 10 months!  So its doable.  Best of luck
It is an employer's legal obligation to provide an area for a breastfeeding mother to pump. You can print out a copy of the law and give it to your manager.

I have been breastfeeding my daughter for almost a year now (yay!) and I have always left formula for her when I go to work just in case I don't pump enough milk. Amazingly she has NEVER needed it. When she got to be about 6 months old she would wait for me to come home to nurse anyway (I was only working 5 hours).

A good habit to get in to is to pump once per day every day from the time your milk comes in and freeze it. Building a freezer stock is a really good idea in the early months and you will usually have plenty of extra milk to do so. Once you are working you will need to pump every 3 hours and it is a good idea to pump again at night when the baby goes down as well.

A good pump costs about $300, but if you are not buying formula it is WAY cheaper in the long run. Also, you can write off the breast pump on your taxes and you will receive the money back with your tax return! If you are really committed to breast feeding, it is a great baby shower gift. People can pool their money to go towards a pump, etc. I personally ended up waiting until after I had my baby then had to rent a hospital pump because she didn't latch right away. The Medela hospital grade pump was so nice that I ended up buying one of the same brand for my personal use. Do not purchase the Platex brand. It cut my nipple and I bled!
just an fyi, if the cost of a (good) pump is scary (which for me it was) you always have the option of renting a breastpump. Most hospitals will rent them out for a monthly fee. For example, the hospital i gave birth at rented medella (the best - hands down - in my opinion of course) for $50 a month. When you compare that to $15-25 per can/tub of formula it's wayyy less.

The best resource i've had is medhelp. The ladies on here will give tips, advise, share personal stories, and even let you vent when something's not quite right. They (we) are always just a few clicks away - and it has been AMAZING and helped me overcome a lot of challenges i had with breastfeeding. It's not easy and although it's totally natural, it doesn't seem to come naturally for all women and babies.. it can be hard work to get things down to a system but it is TOTALLY worth it.

Welcome to our space of medhelp and please just read through some of the old posts in our forum and you will find a lot of information that may help you make your decision.

p.s. if money is an issue at all (as it was for me) breastfeeding would be the best option. To be honest that was my motivation and sole reason to do it (at first). In addition we cloth diaper our daughter when at home. In the 4 (almost 5) months since her birth i have purchased one can/tub of formula and two packs of diapers.
With the economy being the way it is... We can all learn how to be a little more green. :) You're definitely not alone sister.

Just a quick note- Women are finding cloth diapering a lot easier nowAdays! Look up BumGenius, Fuzibuns (sp?), or patterns to make your own. I fully cloth diaper my son, and it saves us a TON of money. I don't do anything fancy like buy special detergents. I just keep it simple.

Babies are a sure way to find products... Johnsons baby wash... Saline solutions (Boogie Wipes)... Pampers... ect. Couponing has become really popular as well.

Anyone else have any ideas on how to save more?
If money is tight and you qualify for WIC, they may be able to supply you with a pump
maybe we should start a new thread, money saving tips :)
Good idea Logi!! :)