Breastfeeding Community
can a baby nurse while sleeping?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

can a baby nurse while sleeping?

Just curious...my son goes into a deep state of relaxation while nursing.  He still suckles and seems to be eating but he also seems like he is asleep.  Is it possible he is asleep or just relaxed?
dd took a bottle, but she would definitely sleep through many of the feeds. In fact, when her feeding issues were at their worst, we would deliberately feed her when she was asleep because she wouldn't scream, was relaxed and ate so much better.

Later on, when I went back to work, we got her through the night by DH giving her a sleep feed just before he went to bed. He is a night owl and stayed up much later than me. She still needed that middle of the night feed- we just kinda determined when it would be. She slept right through it.
Can you hear him swallowing while he's nursing/sleeping?  My dr said that the baby gets what they need in the first few minutes and the last few minutes when they're 'drowsy' they really aren't getting a big volume and to switch sides or something when they get to that 'drowsy'  point  so they don't learn to fall asleep with you!

If it's at night time definately keep it dark and quiet but if it's during the day, lights on with stimulation so he gets used to nursing with noise if that makes sense...  
Sounds like he may be using you as a pacifier, which is very common.  It's just a bad habit to get into, but I do it everytime.  They just look so cute and often times desperation kicks in when exhaustion kicks in, so you do what you have to just to get a little shut eye.  But my ped said the same thing as Diane's doc.  She said that the baby gets what they need within the first 10 minutes (from each side), so after that, it is just a comfort thing.
they sure can! in fact I read a book called secrets of a baby whisperer and it says for a nighttime feed dont wake them, just feed them, this way you wont be up longer than necessary. I have found since reading this that Brielle sleeps longer into the morning now. I think its b/c they have un-interupted sleep, they dont have to take time to get back into that rem sleep. Just make sure your baby is actually eating and not just using you as a pacifier. I can hear Brielle swallowing so I know that is not the case. Good luck!