Breastfeeding Community
can babies get fat on breastmilk?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

can babies get fat on breastmilk?

hey girls! i think the answer to this is no, but i am just curious what others think..my daugher was born at 7lbs 11oz and now at 7 weeks is almost 13lbs... people comment on how she is chunky.. but she is just eating breastmilk only.. though she does like to eat thats for sure! but i just feed on demand.. she is filling out thre month outfits lengthwise, but they are still huge width wise.. soo i dont think she is that chunky, but she is solid! thanks!!!!
they are supposed to get chunky quickly on breastmilk. breastfed babies have a different growth curve to follow. My LC said the WHO has adopted it, and that when the AAP adopts it too there's going to be some very surprised parents. She said that in general, breastfed babies are supposed to put on 1/2 lb to a lb a week in the beginning and a breastfed baby is not supposed to be skinny. While there are individual variations, breastfed newborns are supposed to be chunky.

this does not mean your baby will be fat. in fact, since you are bf'ing, she has less of a chance of being fat when older. her weight gain will slow in the next few months. My first was born 4 lbs 13 oz, in the 3rd percentile. By 2 and 3 months, she jumped to 75th percentile for weight. She looked like a little sumo wrestler. I feared lugging a 30+ lb toddler, but after 3 months her rate of weight gain slowed dramatically. She was average at 1 year and by her 2 year check up, she was a perfect 25% for weight (50th for height). This little one is following the same growth pattern. She's turning 4 months old in the next week. For the first 6 weeks of her life, she was putting on a pound a week. After that it slowed to 1/2 pound a week.

Keep up the great work and be proud of every roll =)
Oh yes, breastfed babies can be very chubby.  As long as you are feeding your baby on demand all is fine.  And Tiredbuthappy is perfectly right about the weight gain patterns.

Be proud that you are giving your baby everything she needs and that she is thriving.
Breast milk has a high fat content, but rest assured, babies need that fat for brain development. Your little one is only as chunky as her body needs to be... don't worry.

For a little peace of mind: My first was born 6 lbs 3 oz, was exclusively breastfed, and weighed in at 15 lbs at 1 year. My second was born at 6 lbs 11 oz, was exclusively breastfed, and is now weighing in at 22 lbs at 9 months. Every child is different.
thank yall so very much!!! yup, she is gaining exactly 1/2lb a week so far, and already too big for most s3 month outfits! yikes haha.. but of course if she was small i'd worry too i'm sure! thank yall!!! and happy holidays!
My first son was born at 8 lbs 5 ounces. We left the hospital 3 days later and he was 7 lbs 15 ounces. At his 10 day check up, he was up to 10 lbs 4 ounces on breastmilk alone. It had long been said that I produced cream rather than milk.

And my youngest, the only one of my three not to eat solids during his first 15 or 16 months of his life, was 30 pounds at 1 year! All 3 were 20 pounds by 4 months of age.

They were all chunkers for sure. The only one overweight is the one who got solids before 6 months as that was the current recommendation when he was born. Had I known then what I know now, he would never have touched the stuff. He also has asthma/RAD.

Embrace the chunky little monkey for now and rest assured that you are doing the absolute very best for her!
Yep, my son has now gained 4 lbs at 5 weeks old exclusively from breastmilk. He's a chunky monkey like your babies. It feels great to see them grow from Mama's milk! Keep up the good work Mama!