Breastfeeding Community
constipation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

constipation

i am breastfeeding my baby girl is 21 days old she is eating every 2 to 2.5 hours for the first week she was doing great now i am concerned she is not getting en ough breast milk i seem to l be producing just fine but lately she has been fussy even while feeding or after feedings i am concerned she may be constipated because her diapers are not as full as they have been she rarely soils the diaper when she poops how can i help her if she is in fact constipated and if she is not what may be wrong
she is probably not constipated. It is very normal for breastfed babies to go long stretches between poops. Some go for up to a week. Other babies poop 10 times/day. Breastmilk is very easily digested, so some babies don't make as much poop. It is very soft, so babies often don't feel the need to poop for a while. If she were constipated, the poop would be very hard and it would be causing her great discomfort to pass.

At this age, it is very normal for babies to be gassy. If this is a problem and contributing to fussiness, you can give her simethicone (brand name Mylicon, but generic is just as good). It is sold in the baby aisle. In general, this is a very fussy age for babies. This could be normal behavior, or it could be the onset of mild colic. This is also the age where reflux may manifest itself, if that is an underlying problem. Without more details on how she is behaving, I can't give too much insight.

good luck and congrats on your little one. It's stressful now, but things will improve soon!
my son is 4 months and i have strictly pumpedBM for him.  he used to poop 2-4 a day everyday until he was about 2 months. then he just stopped one day, it scared me so much! ever since then he goes usually 3 or 4 days without pooping.  but then when he goes he explodes all through his cloths, socks, up his belly and back!! it is so gross!  i would much rather change 4 poopy diapers a day then 1 huge disaster every 3 days!! LOL!!  i still get a bit worried around day 4 but it is always soft and he seems okay, he might get a bit fussy right before he has to go.

everyone tels me it is normal too, but i still hate it, i am always tracking his messy diapers!!!

i found this stuff called colic calm,, i get it online. it is like $20 a bottle plus shipping. but it works really really well for fussiness, stomach upset, colic, acid reflux too i think.  its expensive, but it works incredibly well. it is all natural ingredients, it has gripe water, charcoal, and other stuff i can't remember.  its gross looking because of the charcoal, its black, but tastes really good and my son loves it.  i use it whenever he is fussy and nothing i do soothes him especially after not pooping for 4 days!! ; )  he usually feels better within 15 mins or so
My son was exclusively breast fed for his first year and was pretty constipated when he was 4-6 months.  The dr recommended giving pear juice.  Since I was working/pumping - my son was taking bottles during the day.  We were able to mix in 2 oz of pear juice in with my milk and he took the bottles just fine - never have had a problem since.  Good luck.
It is very, very rare for an exclusively breastfed child to get constipated as it simply is not in the makeup of breastmilk. You would normally only see that if someone is introducing iron-fortified items like cereal or formula.

It is not uncommon for babies to go very long stretches without a bowel movement.

I think the move to interfere too much with the natural flow tends to mess up the nursing flow. It is tough, but try to trust the process. The more you add junk to the baby's diet, the more likely you are the disrupt what you are trying to keep on track in the first place.
Breastfeed babis often do not have a bowel movement for many many days. My daughter has often gone 14 days without one! I was also worried but it is quite normal. Breast milk is so valuable and nutritious to your baby that baby is absorbing all the goodness out of it and thus there is little waste product.

Gassiness can cause fussiness, those were the only times my daughter was fussy. I often massaged her, put awarmed up cherry pit heating bag on her belly (which really helped). I too worry if my daughter drank and still drinks enough (she's 8 months old tomorrow). If their diapers are wet, then they're drinking enough.