Breastfeeding Community
cracked nipples

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

cracked nipples

Had my son Monday an he latched wrong now my nipples are cracked I'm using lanolin but its still very painful someone please help!!
I think at this point it's a matter of time to let your nipples adjust and try to correct the latch.  I have an inverted nipple that KILLS every time my baby latches at first. Eventually the pain lessens...  Best of luck and congrats on the little one!
Things that can soothe the nipples (do one at a time, not together) lol
- warm the lanolin (not hot) to smoothe on more easily and not pull the skin
- make an infusion of Lipton's tea, about five teabags in a cup of hot water, make it dark, dark, dark, then cool and save the liquid.  Dab onto the nipples with a cotton ball
-  wrap sore breast in cold cabbage leaves
-  make a solution of white vinegar and water, dab on the nipples every time after nursing
-  go around the house letting your bare nipples be exposed to the air
i also found just applying some expressed milk and letting it air dry helped a lot. It both moisturized and helped heal.

When they got really bad, I would use nipple shells. They are hard plastic cups with air holes that keep fabric off the nipples allowing them to heal. They look funny so I only wore them at home. But one of the reasons my nipples had trouble healing was everytime the wound startd to heal, the breast pad would stick to it and rip it open again.
As long as you know he is latching properly, then all of the suggestions are good ones.  Cracked nipples will normally happen whether he is latching properly or not.  What I mean to say is that the improper latch is not the reason why your nipples or cracked.  Just wasn't sure if you knew that.

As for the lanolin...Medela actually makes one that comes out very smooth and will not pull the skin.  I also used the nipple shells as well.

Good luck!  I know these first few weeks are hard but it will get better!
Lansinoh puts out a product that is a gel nipple pad.  It's in the same aisle at Target as the pumps and supplies and such.  They are not absorbent, so if when you let down you still have the potential to leak...  but they feel AMAZING going on for sore nipples.
I had the same issue with my son a couple Weeks back and the lanisoh didn't work. So I looked online and came across Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter. Its natural and it doesn't contain lanolin. I found it in a whole foods store. It worked wonders. Good luck and congrats! :)
Use Vaseline thats what doctors usually tell you to use for healing.