Breastfeeding Community
does anyone else have a"grazer"?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

does anyone else have a"grazer"?

This type if baby is tough when there are other children because they seem to want  stay latched on 24/7. They even sleep like this. Does any one have any experience with this type of baby? Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?
Sounds like you might be the pacifier. If baby is falling asleep while eating try to wake him otherwise it will seem he is always attached. My baby can be slow to eat but she can empty both in about 20 min when shes hungry. Dont try to feed just cuz baby fusses. I use feeding as last resort so I dont become the paci!
Maybe a growth spurt?  how old is your baby? Have you tried like the other poster suggested, a pacifier?  If the baby is not swallowing - take them off b/c then at that point you are just a pacifier...
Thanks, yes, i've tried a few different paci's and held it there thinking she might like it. I won't give up though. She's 3 months, and has been using her hands and fingers in her mouth a lot. I went to an LLL meeting recently because i've needed some support, and they said to offer the breast whenever she needs it. Now im thinking i've just spoiled my child because she half drinks/half sleeps, and when i take it out she wakes up!  She ***** on her little fingers, but not when she needs to sleep. She just cries or screams until she gets the breast.  When i see her not swallowing, i do take it out, but only ti have her either start vigorously looking for it, or crying. I don't know what to do. The women at the meeting said to put her in a sling and carry her around, and to hang in there.  My other issue was that she stopped drinking my pumped milk for some reason. I finally found a bottle  she likes, the playtex nurser, only to have her completely reject it,, and has not been able to get back on it. Uffff.
By 3 months they know what they want ans can be very stubborn about it. The problem with her just snacking is when she's nursing frequently you don't get the opportunity to really fill up so she's never getting a full belly. I would try holding her off as ling as possible so there is a decent amount of milk when she does nurse. Making her wait a little longer then she wants isn't going to hurt her even though she's gonna be one mad little girl, its gonna be harder on you. As far as the bottle wait until she should be good and hungry to try but not too mad. Also if you can have other people try to give her the bottle because it is common for breastfed babies to refuse bottles for mom or even if mom is around. Good luck :)
Yes, i will try making her wait, that will be hard, and usually only happens if she's sleeping in the stroller. Otherwise her sleep is like the way she drinks.  Thanks for the tips.
My boy is the same, he seems to feed continuously on me from about 6pm til 10pm and he is 9 weeks old. Its the worst time, as i am usually trying to prepare dinner and deal with my other 2 kids, and feel like baby is glued to my breast! He feeds almost every half hour until i can finally get him to sleep. I know most of the time he is just trying to settle on me, and it can be very hard and tiring. I'm just hoping he gets better with time.
My middle child was like this for about the first four months...especially in the evenings...he would not take a pacifier. It got better as he became more mobile and a bit more interested in exploring his surroundings, I think he became occupied with and interested in other things than nursing at that point.
Thanks everyone for all the comments.

I'm in a similar situation... I have a 3-week old, and she is a slow eater/grazer. She eats for 3 hours, sleeps for about 30 minutes, then starts the cycle again. We both sleep a bit doing the side-lying nursing position, and she always falls asleep within about 5-8 minutes of starting to feed.

for sanity, I let my husband give her formula in the evenings so that she and I can both sleep for a few hours. I also pump whenever she's eating formula, just to keep my supply up. But most of the time, my breasts are under "duress" for so long, for so many hours, that I rarely have time for let downs to begin again and to "refill" properly.  I always feel like I'm running on empty, and by the end of the night, I DO run low (or at least, that's what the baby tells me when she gets frustrated and acts hungry while feeding).

My son is the same way.  I bottle fed my first child because I didn't get the first latch due to c section issues with all the meds they had me on when they induced me.  My planned c section for my now 5week old son went better so did breastfeeding and now I'm 5weeks behind on many hours of sleep. He won'ttake any pacifi er but my nipple....