Breastfeeding Community
energy drinks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

energy drinks

are energy drinks safe to drink while breastfeeding?  i'm always so tired and seem to have a lack of energy and was wondering if its ok or not.  i would like to try the 5 hour energy drink.
No, they are not safe to drink while pg. If you need energy, the best thing you can do is take a good multivitamin, get plenty of rest, eat a balanced diet, and drink enough water. Many of those energy drinks are loaded with caffeine in various forms.

um,.. your not supossed to have any caffeine while breastfeeding because it gets transfered into the milk and then you will have a fussy active doesn't wanna sleep baby. If you really Need some caffeine, like a cup of coffee, try decaff coffee (which has some caffeine) after you breastfeed in the morning. also try to excersize more to get your blood flowing, that will make you feel more awake and is not harmful to your child.
well, poo!   i don't get enough sleep most of the time and i try my best to eat a balanced diet...  but that gets a little off sometimes when i'm busy and starving!  i admit i haven't been exercising b/c i'm just too darn tired.

i just need an energy boost in the evening...  by the time dh and i get a chance to have any time together in the evening i feel like i'm gonna pass out, lol!  
I actually did have coffee while nursing, but it was carefully timed. However, the mega doses of vitamins and caffeine in the energy drinks are not good for mom or baby.

Instead of grabbing an energy drink, reach for an Ensure for Nursing Moms or even a slimfast shake, a good balance of vitamins and good energy.
andi- really???  those kinds of drinks help w/ energy?  i guess b/c when you have the right nutrition you just feel better?  
Another thing to try is a good helping of fresh fruit. Even better chilled and/or with yogurt or frozen yogurt. The natural sugars in the fresh fruit combined with the cold yogurt is a nice pick-me-up . . . and healthy. And, for a quick easy boost, eat a good size apple.
tahariel-  i actually used to eat apples when i wanted something sweet while i was prego.  now i really do try my best to eat right but it doesn't always work out that way.  i always eat vegies w/ my meals but i don't usually get around to eating fruit as much anymore.  i buy it, but i always feel guilty when i eat it b/c i want to make sure my kids are eating right so i usually leave it for them!
Kennedydp5, I know what you mean. Trying to eat healthy while being a busy mom, taking care of the family, breastfeeding, and working almost full time is quite the challenge. At least we do our best when we can.  :-)
Absolutely, I good blend of nutrients is the best fuel you can give your body. A cup of coffee or two a day shouldn't hurt anything, but to give yourself sustained energy, a healthy diet is the best option.

i have found that the good ol theory of eating breakfast is true.  i eat oatmeal or eggs and start my day off with a cup of coffee.  i keep my energy up by never sitting down haha jk.  i think that lack of energy goes with being a busy mom but nutrition makes the biggest difference like andi said. make sure you check to see how much sugar you are consuming during the day too.  not only have i found it makes me drop, it makes me cranky!  i have recently found out that eating cinnamon can help keep  you from having sugar attacks, so i put it in my oatmeal along with some nuts or dried cranberries.
perty- thanks!  i took your advice and not only ate breakfast yesterday, but ate oatmeal!  i didn't think i liked it but your tastebuds really do change as you get older, lol!  and i also drank more water yesterday, too.  last night i was not butt dragging tired in the evening for once!!!  hopefully today i can even find a couple minutes to get in a short workout...  yea, right!!!!

andi- i haven't been able to try the ensure yet but i want to so its on our grocery list on the fridge.
I wish my tastebuds would change so I could have oatmeal. A nice warm and seemingly tasty option, however I've tried several times and I just can't eat it yet. Maybe someday.
lol, well i have to eat it slow!  if i try to scarf it down i'd probably throw up!  :)  oh, and the ton of cinnamon i put in it helped!  :)