Breastfeeding Community
excessive lipase

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

excessive lipase

So I have recently discovered that I have excessive lipase in my milk. I read online that if I scald my milk after I pump then there should be no problem. However, I don't have a stove at work and I don't want to microwave it. I also read that if I pump and put it straight in the freezer than it should be fine also. Does anyone know? I pump at work and then I take it to my sitter to for next day feeding. Should I just pump and freeze without scalding?
Hi, looking for excessive lipase in milk isn't a standard test; was a doctor testing you because of a pancreas or kidney issue?  If so, what did the doctor say about breast feeding?  (Not only because of the issue of lipase in milk but because of the condition that gives you the lipase?)

La Leche League is a good resource for the kind of questions you have above, but I would sure also talk to the doctor in this situation.  
Oh no I wasn't tested, I was trying to figure out why my LO wouldn't take milk from the bottle. I tasted it and it tasted like soapy metal. I read online that its excessive lipase. Just trying a number of things to slow the process of that down so that he has milk for when hes at the sitters.
I don't think you can judge excessive lipase from the flavor of milk in the bottle.  The bottle itself might be adding that flavor.  Try a glass bottle and see if the baby takes it.
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree that you can't diagnose yourself like that with info from the internet.  My second son rejected a bottle as frankly, he got used to me early on and preferred it.  Rough going, I'll tell you!  It's nice to hand baby off with a bottle once in a while so someone else can feed them!!  I agree to try different bottles.  Try the glass bottle but they also make this bottle that is to resemble and be more like a breast.  And I also agree that le Leche  is a great resource.  

The problem seems to be more the transfer to bottle verses the milk itself from what you describe.  ????  He nurses fine but doesn't like the bottle?  good luck
My previously frozen milk tastes/smells like that with both my current baby and my last son. Neither of them ever refused to drink it. One thing I would add is that even though breast milk is fine stored in the fridge for several days if you are freezing breast milk it needs to be frozen within 24 hours of pumping it, don't leave it in the fridge for a day or two first.
My older daughter didn't like bottles when I went back to work - but my husband (who was at home and trying to feed her) just kept at it and eventually she did fine.  My 2nd daughter takes some and some not so much...  My husband said if he holds her bottles to the side/at an angle like she would be when I feed her, she does better.  Have you tried different bottles? We use Dr. Browne's and my kids have (eventually) all done fine with them.

I am not familiar with lipase.  There are multiple reasons why a baby might reject a bottle.  
Oh no, he takes a bottle. He has no problem drinking from a bottle or drinking my milk from it if it has been pumped within 6-8 hours. If I leave my milk in the fridge for longer than that it starts to taste soapy. He wont even eat it if its in the cereal unless I've just pumped it. I don't stock up on milk in my freezer as I don't pump enough to have a stockpile. I only pump how much I need for the time he is at the sitter, but now I am having to wake up in the middle of the night to pump cause if I leave it over night in the fridge it gets that horrible taste and he will not drink it, it has nothing to do with what kind of bottle its in.