expressing milk during pregnancy?
Hey there,

I was wondering if it is possible to express milk while I am pregnant? My first baby who is currently 18months old was breastfed for 3 months and wound up weening himself off. Ever since then my breasts have still been producing very very little milk. I can squeeze a tiny bit of milk out. Now, with my son 18 months old, I find myself pregnant again (yay!) and want to breastfeed again. Since I am still producing milk (although a very tiny amount) I was wondering if I started to express milk now, would I be able to start up a supply earlier than the norm and be able to freeze it till the new baby arrives in November?
it is generally not recommended to pump while pregnant. I believe it can cause preterm labor. Some moms do manage to nurse throughout pregnancy but i think that is viewed differently because a child is directly dependent on the nutrition (risk vs benefit).
Forgot to add 2 things- first is congrats! Second, you have to keep in mind that milk may not last that long in the freezer. Some newborns refuse frozen milk, and in a regular freezer milk is only good 3-6 months.
Thanks :)

I knew about the risk of the baby not transitioning from breast to bottle and vice versa. Funny thing, my son went back and forth from breast to bottle with no issues. If he was hungry, he didn't care how he was fed lol As for the shelf life of breast milk, I have read from many sources that if you freeze the milk in a deep freeze, it can last up to 12 months.

Thanks for the info about the possibility of pre-term labor. I had not thought of that. I am currently only 5weeks pregnant, but I would not want to risk a miscarriage.  I do have to wonder what the difference would be if I was still breastfeeding my son and became pregnant? Does the body know the difference between currently breastfeeding and being pregnant and not currently breastfeeding and being pregnant.  Something to ask the doctor about the next time I see them.

Thanks again for the info, it has helped alot.
You're 100% correct. It is NOT advised to pump while pregnant. If a mom is transitioning into tandem nursing and has not had history of preterm labor, then it could be "OK'd" by her doctor, but since this isn't the case, it wouldn't be recommended.

Can't wait to see this poster more often! It sounds like she's going to be a stone cold breastfeeder! Even 3 months is a great success story! :)
Thanks, I tried to breastfeed my son as long as I could but I had to go back to work early and wasn't able to continue, plus other things in life made it a little difficult. This time around, I am a stay at home mom and want to try breastfeeding longer. This is why I want to get as early of a start on expressing so I have a start up supply :P sounds like I'll have to wait till the new baby gets here :)