Breastfeeding Community
giving up too easy ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

giving up too easy ?

I had my daughter December 31 and started bf'ing  but over time it seemed like my supply wasn't coming in so I had to start supplementing now this past week she has been on mostly formula because she isn't getting full off of me when I pump I'm getting less than an ounce combined and I've never gotten more that four ounces. What should I do I've tried fenugreek and mothers milk tea but that seems like its only made it worse any suggestions?
Are you pumping at all, or have you been doing nothing with your breasts this week? When things are bad, you're actually supposed to avoid a bottle and supplementing. Without continuing to BF it's not telling your body to make more. Why do you think she wasn't getting enough? If she's getting 6-8 wet diapers a day and gaining weight, she's getting enough. She's probably going through a growth spurt. My daughter will literally eat every half an hour to an hour during a growth spurt and acts hungry constantly. I also can't pump an oz usually between both breasts. I've never gotten 4 ounces at once. I would put her back to the breast if she'll take it and only do that to increase your supply. Good luck!
I agree. Supplementing just makes supply worse. You need to be putting her to the breast or pumping every few hours round the clock.
Be sure you are drinking a TON of water and taking in enough calories.  Nursing burns a lot of calories.  And yes, supplementing will cause your supply to go down.  If you feel you must, it is best to do it AFTER she eats from you, by topping off a BM feeding w/ a little formula.  But also make sure she has eaten from both sides from you before giving her any formula.  I understand not wanting her to starve.  I totally get that, but if you really want to BF, that is what I would suggest.  You body produces milk based on what your baby is needing.  Your body gets that info based on what your baby is eating so the less she is eating from you, the less your body will produce.  Good luck :)