Breastfeeding Community
having to supplement with formula

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

having to supplement with formula

By baby is 3 m o old and I am having to supplement while I am working. I.can only pump 300 ml in a 8 hour work day and she.goes thru that by noon. :(. Started her off with similac Advanced. My doctor said it was common and not to get discouraged. She is also teething. I feel down and that I have failed her. I can't seem to produce enough to meet her needs. I eat oatmeal twice a day and still nothing.
Have you tried fenugreek? remember 3 months is another growth spurt so it may just be a phase, take it one day at a time and be proud of yourself for making it to 3 months!! I know if I have to quit breastfeeding for any reason I'm damn proud of myself, breastfeeding is hard!!
Don't feel bad. Breastfeeding is hard and pumping is even harder. Lots of women that have to pump for one reason or another have a hard time getting enough milk. Things that can help are: make sure you are well hydrated, stay as relaxed as possible, massage your breasts prior to pumping, have a picture of baby to look at while pumping, try a supplement like fenugreek or mothers milk tea. Hope this helps :)
Do you ever pump after you feed the baby?  The first feeding of the day is a great time to pump after feeding the baby and that will build your supply in the freezer and in your body.  Stay at it and just be consistent with pumping.  Keeping hydrated makes a big difference for me.  If you apply pressure to your breasts while pumping you might be able to get a little more milk out - I do.  After I've been hooked up for a bit and it looks like my milk is gone, if I apply pressure to the sides of my breasts while still hooked up to the pump it's amazing how much more milk comes out!  How often are you able to pump at work?  Are you pumping approx as many times as your baby is feeding?  Every 2 to 3 hrs?
I never had issues with supply until I went back to work. I don't have any more milk left to take to daycare, she eats it all and it isn't enough for her. I do pump in the morning, u will get sometime 125 to150 ml, but rest of the day I get barely 100 ml. I pump every day at the same tine, and supply seems to be going down.

Ktowne
Ktowne- I heard fenugreek can make the lil ones tummy upset, did u have this problem?
Not at all, my daughter (and a few other women I've asked) have never had an issue with upset tummy and it really, really helps!
Stay consistent with pumping and do it as often as you are able.  That has helped me. Also, when the baby is sleeping longer spells over night I have to get up and pump b/c I feel like I"m about to explode. I only pump a small amount per side as to not empty out so I am able to feed my baby when she's ready but also so that I am able to go to sleep comfortably!
I pump every day same time. My breasts don't even feel full even during night time anymore. I am now trying mothers milk tea, but I haven't noticed change yet. I pray that I don't have to stop BF.
try fenugreek MMT didn't help me at all and it tasted terrible!! haha
Is your period starting?  I know when mine has my supply takes a big hit.  Hope things are going well!