Breastfeeding Community
how do i produce more breastmilk

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

how do i produce more breastmilk

I am a first time mom, and I need help making more breast milk. I have to pump every three hours or so, get out at least 3 1/2 - 4 ounces at a time. My baby is barely four months old, and I know that I should be giving her more than that at one time. I have already ran out of my stock since she was  2 1/2 months old of so.

The reason that I pump is because they fed her from bottles in the hospital.
I took Fenugreek and it helped me increase my production. It shouldn't be taken if you have nut allergies as it is related. Other things that will help is pumping more frequently and to pump for a few minutes after your milk has stopped, both things will tell your body you need to produce more. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. I have heard beer and NA beer can help production but haven't tried that.

actually your baby should need about 3 1/2 - 4 oz per feed.  

If you are feeding her more than this you may be over feeding her.  Babies on formula do drink larger amounts but their milk is not as nutritious as breast milk.  YOu may also try doing some manual expression inbetween pumpings to get a bit extra.  Does your baby drink direction. You may wish to allow her to feed directly as well.

Drink plenty of liquids.
Unfortunately, not all mothers can keep their child on breastmilk, because they cannot produce enough. I would invest in some formula and start mixing half breastmilk, half formula. This reduces the stress on you to produce, and will ease your worries about not making enough. One day, your body will stop producing the milk, and you can easily switch to the formula (if she is still under a year old).
Definitely try increasing your supply before you switch to formula, sometimes pumping is harder on a supply, try increasing pumping, relax, stress can really reduce your supply, drink lots and lots of fluids, too. Good luck!!
The worst thing to do would be supplementing with formula. That is truely terrible advice.

Try holding your child while expressing or even better feed her directly. Skin to skin contact encourages milk supply and don't get stressed out. You can do it and don't give up it is the best thing for your child.
Do what our great grandmothers did. Drink beer or, better yet, stout. I drank a large bottle of bear every day while breastfeeding my first one. It worked beautifully. Curiously enough I never liked beer, but didn't minding it while breastfeeding. After I weaned her, once again, I didn't like it.