Breastfeeding Community
how do you transition to/incorporate pumping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

Hello-

My son Ryder is 4 1/2 weeks old. he is a great feeder. I have been pumping about 1 bottle a day for him (so that his daddy can feed him too) and he takes the bottle pretty well. I am going back to work at the beginning of May and will not be able to bf nor pump at that time for logistic reasons. I was hoping to freeze a bunch of milk ahead of time so that he could get 2-3 bm bottles a day for a while after I return to work. My problem is that Ryder doesn't nap in the mornings and feeds about once an hour from 7-12/1. He then takes a couple of naps in the afternoon and early evening, but the lengths are unpredictable so I don't know when I can pump so that it does not interfere with my supply when he next gets hungry. any suggestions on how to incorporate pumping into a routine when there isn't really a clearly defined routine?

I have been thinking about transitioning to pumping exclusively so that I can pump on a specific schedule. Are there issues I should consider in how to best make this transition?

Thanks for any advice!

-Shannon
if you want to do both, i would work up to feeding from 1 side at a time. then you can pump the otherside at the same feed, and evenually trick your boobs into thinking you need much more milk.   i know he's feeding very frequently. if he's willing, feed from the same side for a 2 hr stretch.

There's not much to do if you plan to pump exclusively other than pump whenever he would have fed. When you pump exclusively, you need to pump every 2-3 hours, for 10-15 minutes or 5 minutes past the last drops. Basically, pump 8-10 times a day. You need to maintain this schedule for 12 weeks, after which you can spread the pumps out a bit more.  

If I were you, i wouldn't go straight to exclusively pumping. Keep nursing, at least at night. Waking to pump in the middle of the night is a huge pain in the butt.

By the way, if you want him to get only 2 to 3 bm bottles/day after you go back to work, it may be possible to pump only in the AM and before bed, and make enough for that. I know a couple people at work who managed to do that for a few months. They didn't produce enough to give only breast milk, but produced enough to get their babies a few bottles/day.