Breastfeeding Community
how to tell how much ur baby eats

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

how to tell how much ur baby eats

How are u suppose to know how much ur baby eats while breastfeeding? Im a ftm so don't know if this is a stupid question lmao
You don't really. You can weigh the baby and then feed him/her and weigh again. That's what ny lactation consultant did. A great article is "timeline of a breastfed baby" on thealphaparent . Com  http://www.thealphaparent.com/2011/12/timeline-of-breastfed-baby.html good luck
That's what I thought that theres no way of telling but shouldnt u know how much ur baby eats oz wise? Because doesn't their dr ask? Idk
My sons doctor just wants me to write down what time he starts to eat and when he finishes to make sure he's eating long enough and often enough. And he tells me when he's full, so I think as long as he's eating as much as he's hungry and he's gaining a good amount of weight then it doesn't really matter a specific amount.
Oh okay thanks :)
Exactly jessica and congrats on your new bundle of joy. Our boys share a birthday. Mine just a lot smaller than yours.
He should have several wet diapers a day that will also let you know that te baby is getting nourishment also the amount of dirty diapers and your breast should feel firmer before you nurse and softer afterwards. A newborn should have a checkup with the ped. At least two weeks after birth to make sure they are gaining properly. Your milk won't come in for at least three days after birth and the baby will have only your colostrum which is a pre milk that is thick. They will only be getting 2 tbsp per side per feed so they will seem endlessly hungry. Just feed as baby demands and they will be getting enough until your milk comes in.
Thank you ladies!
Nurse on demand. If baby wants to nurse, let them.

To be sure they're getting enough check for at least six wet diapers a day. You can also feel the soft spot an make sure it's not sunken in. If baby has 6+ wet diapers a day after the first few days, then they are getting enough to eat. But you can't know how much baby is getting without weighing before an after a feeding. Pumping doesn't even give you an accurate amt of ounces.
Ok I will keep all these in mind when my little boy comes :)
Im glad someone asked this because at the hospital and during my 6 wks off Im gonna be trying to breastfeed. Its my first time doing it because the women in my family have a history of not producing enough so I never tried with my other three. But my sister successfully breastfed for a few months before going to milk because she stopped producing so Im going to give it a shot this time.
If you do have a low supply and want to keep breastfeeding, you can take fenugreek, mothers milk tea, blessed thistle, or motherlove more milk plus. I either drink the tea or take fenugreek during a growth spurt. My son is eight weeks and still exclusively breastfed. :)