Breastfeeding Community
mastitis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

mastitis

My son was born three weeks ago and in that three weeks I have gotten mastitis twice so far I keep looking info up on the net on how to stop milk production but nothing on the net is seeming to help my right breast is so engorged to to point its not leaking or getting soft I've been trying to pump to relieve the pressure but its not working its very hard and sore to the touch what can I do? I'm desperate I want to stop I've been feeding him formula over the past two days I'm also taking antibiotics for the mastitis
Call your doctor (his after-hours line) about the fact that it is hard and sore to the touch and will not drain.  Try also lying on hands and knees in a bathtub with your breasts hanging down but in the water, and see if the warm water soak encourages any plugged milk to come out.  Try cleaning your nipples with a clean Q-tip or cotton bud.  Keep trying with the pump, and if the doc says it is OK, have the baby suck also.  After the baby *****, clean your breasts with some white vinegar in water (half and half), it will keep any bacteria from his mouth from getting into your nipple.
When you get a clogged duct mix a teaspoon of turmeric (spice) in a glass of water and drink it. It's kind of gritty, kind of tastes like dirt, but it works very well for unclogging ducts. I know women who have ongoing issues with mastitis and they use this spice in their food regularly and it really helps. I'd drink the glass full and use warm compresses, message, pump, etc. I've had it twice and used the turmeric and my duct was unclogged in about 8 hours (over night). Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.
Also, have the baby nurse as much as possible to relieve the pressure. Not nursing is not going to solve the problem unless you quit nursing all together - if that is your intention. If it is your intention to nurse, it will take a few weeks for your breasts and your baby to get regulated, so hang in there.