Breastfeeding Community
nervous about breastfeeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

nervous about breastfeeding

It seems everyone I ask has had awfull experenceswith brest feeding or have just not done it. I am ddetermined to try an brestfeed im just nervous as to whether ot will hurt and what have your experiences been like?
People talk about breastfeeding as though it were a scientific experiment. The whole business as simple as it is for the cat who nurses her kittens or the dog who nurses her puppies. No equipment required. Feed on demand. Pick up your baby. Hold it to your nipple and baby will do the rest. He is just as smart as the kitten or puppy.

And all you have to do is sit back and relax. Read a book. Drink a cup of tea. Smile about not being bothered with formula, sterilization, warming bottles in the middle of the night, and all the other annoyances that come with not breastfeeding.
Well that isn't bad at all :)
Ive always wanted to breast feed as soon as I found out. Just hope my little one takes :)
I've only been breastfeeding for a little over three weeks and I have to admit it was hard at first. The only advice I can give is make sure you breastfeed asap. I was in the recovery room after a csection when I breastfed my son for over 45 min. Also, don't be scared to ask questions. I wish I would have gotten more help from the lactation consultant before I left the hospital. I had latch problems at first which made me very very spread and I wanted to give up, but we worked through it and I couldn't be prouder. (:
"Just hope my little one takes." If babies didn't "take" there would be no future for the human race. Please don't fall into negative thinking, All sorts of people (including professionals) will tell you all the things that can go wrong. One loses sight of the fact that going "wrong" is the exception, not the rule.

I had my first baby overseas. She came without instructions. I was told to feed her whenever she wanted. And so I did.

I had my second in the States. So much attention! And so much of it negative! I was even sent home with formula "just in case." the whole business was made to feel very unnatural. Thank goodness I started out on the right foot,
I think its fair for her to be worried. And I would rather know what could happen and the problems others have encountered than to expect everything to go perfect and be let down if it didn't. Jmi. Its not easy, you have to be committed. And if it isn't perfect, don't give up. Having support from others will make things easier too. A good support group Does wonders. (: good luck hun. It really isn't that hard, just keep your head up and stay committed for your lil one. (:
I love breastfeeding! I'm currently breastfeeding my third child. Its true that at first odds are you will have sore nipples. They may even bleed but after a week or two that will be all gone. Get some lanolin and put it on after every time you nurse. It will help with the chapping. Have the hospitals lactation consultant come in and help you make sure baby is latching on properly. This will help too so your nipples don't get too sore.

To help your milk to come in let baby feed as frequently and as long as he or she wants. Even if you don't think baby is getting anything letting him/her suck will stimulate your production.
There can be problems, usually fleeting. It seems that very fair women, particularly redheads, are more likely to get sore nipples, at least at first. The occasional woman gets mastitis. I had a friend who had galactorrhea (abnormally high milk supply) with each baby. She could not breastfeed and was given medication to cut off the milk supply. Another friend had insufficient milk for her third baby and hired a wet nurse to feed her. (This was overseas where wet nurses are sometimes available.)

But these are exceptions. My daughters and all of my acquaintances, with the exception of the two I mentioned, breastfed successfully. In any case, don't spoil your adventure into motherhood by thinking of the negative "mights."
I agree that it's fair to be be scared or concerned.  After all, you are embarking on something that you have never done before and have only ever heard negative experiences about it.  But don't be scared.  It will be fine.  Issues can come up but you can also post questions here and/or talk to a LC about it.  If you are delivering in a hospital, there should be one there that will come and speak w/ you after the birth.  The nurses can also help you to help the baby latch.  Sometimes there may be latching issues, etc.  But there are fixes to just about every problem that can arise.  DO expect a certain amount of discomfort at first.  It is very normal to have sore/cracked nipples in the beginning.  There are wonderful creams/ointments for that.  My favorite is Medela's but Lansinoh is another good one.

You may run into hurtles but never fear because like I said, there are fixes to just about all of them.  Good luck!
Thankyou for the lovely replies has helped allot. :)
I have been breastfeeding for 19 months now. My sister in-law for a year. She had no problems at all breastfeeding. I did only because my lo was premature but a breast pump and a lactation consultant helped tremendously. There will be a little soreness but as long as baby takes in most of the areola your nipples shouldn't get too sore or crack. Advice do not wash your nipples with soap this will dry and crack your nipples your milk works as an antibacterial and should be used instead. When your baby is born put it straight to the breast and don't let your baby have a bottle or pass until about 6 weeks to keep it from being nipple confused. (That's what happened with my lo because he supposedly had to have a bottle which turned out to be not true). If I were you I would take a breastfeeding class and read up on it as much as possible. The more you know the better things will be and lanolin is awesome use it before and after lanolin will not harm your baby. For more info look up kellymom and find breastfeeding forums on Facebook. Good luck and I have great hopes for you. Just don't give up be fully determined and you will succeed. Oh your baby will go through many growth spurts and will go on feeding forenzies it's normal just feed when baby wants to. And it will seem like your milk has dried up in a few months it hasn't it's your milk regulated to your babies needs so don't be freaked out when you wake up and your boobs aren't engorged.