Breastfeeding Community
nursing and weight loss?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

nursing and weight loss?

I have gained 22lbs while nursing my 3month old. I remember gaining a little with my other two, but this is insane. She nurses 24/7, giving me no energy in the day and hungry most of the time. I have gained this much because i don't say no to my body, and east how much i feel i need to.i was worried about my milk supply that's why i was not trying to cut back. Now, when i try to cut back or control a little i see a drop in my supply. Exercise is very difficult at this point but  the most i  can do is go for a walk here and there.
I don't know what to say that's frustrating. I've lost more than I gained my whole pregnancy by 4 weeks my baby now 4.5 months and I'm still eating how I want. Try cutting back food and drinking more fluids. Will make you feel fuller and help with supply. Your baby may be going through growth spurt too. Rootbeer helped with my supply otherwise just water for me.
I am still nursing (baby is 6 months old now), I have only lost 25lbs, but that was at my 6 week postpartum checkup. I haven't lost any weight since then and I am exclusively breastfeeding and I eat pretty healthy. If I diet, it seems like I gain weight because the scale goes up a couple lbs. I read some women will not lose any weght until they completely wean baby. ): i want to lose weight, but im not ready to stop nursing. Good Luck!
To lose weight you have to be consuming less calories then you burn. That doesn't change while breastfeeding. Eating less or fewer calories shouldn't affect your milk production. Milk production is mostly determined by how frequently you nurse and how much you drink.
You still need to eat healthily while breatsfeeding, and if you do eat right you burn about 5oo calories a day. But you do reach a plateau at some stage where your body will hold onto some fat reserves to call upon as you are breastfeeding. I try and go for a powerwalk when i can, and eat as best as i can while still making sure my son is nourished.
I gained 22 lbs whilst pregnant, lost it all by 6 weeks PP and I have gained 30lbs whilst nursing, I was starving all the time, I joined weight watchers but my supply dropped (even whilst having the extra points for a nursing mom) and I ended up with a fussy baby. I stopped worrying too much and tried to eat healthily even though I knew I was gaining. I decided it was going to be such a short time in my life but a vital time for my baby. I have just weaned, baby is 13 months old and have totally lost my appetite. Now is the right time for me to focus on my weight loss again.
I think that is what i'll have to do. Eat as healthy as i can and not worry about weight loss untill after she weans. It's nice to know i'm not the only one with this issue.  Just wish she'd nurse less at night so that i could sleep more. That way at least i'd have energy to go for a walk. Her pediatrician says that after 4 months i can "train" her to sleep from 9pm to 6am.  I'm sure that will involve a lot of tears for the both of us....
Thank you all for the advice.
parro, you do need more calories while breastfeeding.  But they can still be good calories.  Try eating lots of lean meats, fresh and/or steamed veggies, some carbs in there for energy and drinking LOTS of water.  

I would worry about the weight loss later.  As long as you are eating right, and if exercise isn't an option right now (which I totally understand), then you are doing what you can.  I know it's hard and frustrating but this time won't last forever and then you can lose the weight.
I ate nuts for energy...easy healthy on the go snack. Drink plenty too, I feel exhausted if I am dehydrated and often we mistake thirst for hunger.