Breastfeeding Community
overdose of vitamins?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

overdose of vitamins?

i am  exclusively breasfeeding my litlle 5 weeks baby. The doctor told me to give him polyvisol, a multi vitamin product.I did understand the need od the vitamin d but i am afraid to overdose my baby with all these vitamins ( vitamin a, 100%, etc) Is it dangerous to add all these vitamins to my baby diet or not?
my dr had my little one on vitamins, and DH is a pharmacist and had no problem with it. If i recall correctly, any extra vitamins taken in are just excreted in the urine anyways. however, if you are uncomfortable, you can always call your ped and ask for a clearer answer.
Some vitamins are fat-soluble (A,D,E), so not all will pass in urine. Maybe start with half-dose if you are concerned.

I never did the vitamins, I took a prenatal while nursing and seems the boys did fine with that. If there were to have been a documented need, we would have started for sure but they were healthy as little oxen so we held off.
You're breastfeeding him, so no need to give him extra vitamins. your breast milk is perfectly balanced and suitable for a baby.  It has all the vitamins he needs and no need to supplement with anything.  .  

however, you take a good multivitamin to make sure you are getting all you need.