soma and breastfeeding
I have major back problems, so the dr. prescribed me Soma.  Soma is a pain killer, but I'm worried about taking it because I'm breastfeeding.  My dr. said it's ok to take while breastfeeding, but what I read on the internet it says do not take while breastfeeding.  I have a call out to the lactaction nurse but she has not called me back yet.  Has anyone heard of the pill Soma and should I take this while breastfeeding?  I would love to hear opions on this.
I use to take Soma and something else called Parafon Forte for back problems before I got pregnant. I was told that Soma is present in breast milk and could affect the baby. My doctor said if I needed it while breastfeeding that I would have to stop nursing until I stopped the medicine. I decided to just stop the medicine completely.
I"m so frustrated because I don't understand why my dr. is saying it's ok to take while breastfeeding.  I don't want to stop breastfeeding either. He said the only other thing he can prescibe me is a ladadine patch (spelled wrong). I think it's going to end up with me not taking anything and to try to cope with the pain.
I would speak to a LC or seek a second opinion. I am not sure what kind of pain you are in, but I do know that there are plenty of pain medications that ARE compatible with breastfeeding. Otherwise those of us who had c-sections wouldn't have been able to breastfeed!  You can even ask a pharmacist for some compatible recommendations and then speak to your dr about them and seeing if he agrees that they are appropriate for you.
Yes, there are plenty of pain killers that are compatible with breastfeeding.

I was given a combination of tramadol and arcoxia when I was having a lot of pain after giving birth to my daughter.

Please do pursue this rather than just putting up with the pain.