Aa
A
A
Close
soma and breastfeeding
I have major back problems, so the dr. prescribed me Soma.  Soma is a pain killer, but I'm worried about taking it because I'm breastfeeding.  My dr. said it's ok to take while breastfeeding, but what I read on the internet it says do not take while breastfeeding.  I have a call out to the lactaction nurse but she has not called me back yet.  Has anyone heard of the pill Soma and should I take this while breastfeeding?  I would love to hear opions on this.
Cancel
4 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1194973_tn?1385507504
I use to take Soma and something else called Parafon Forte for back problems before I got pregnant. I was told that Soma is present in breast milk and could affect the baby. My doctor said if I needed it while breastfeeding that I would have to stop nursing until I stopped the medicine. I decided to just stop the medicine completely.
Comment
Cancel
1194973_tn?1385507504
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
I"m so frustrated because I don't understand why my dr. is saying it's ok to take while breastfeeding.  I don't want to stop breastfeeding either. He said the only other thing he can prescibe me is a ladadine patch (spelled wrong). I think it's going to end up with me not taking anything and to try to cope with the pain.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
171768_tn?1324233699
I would speak to a LC or seek a second opinion. I am not sure what kind of pain you are in, but I do know that there are plenty of pain medications that ARE compatible with breastfeeding. Otherwise those of us who had c-sections wouldn't have been able to breastfeed!  You can even ask a pharmacist for some compatible recommendations and then speak to your dr about them and seeing if he agrees that they are appropriate for you.
Comment
Cancel
171768_tn?1324233699
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
231441_tn?1333896366
Yes, there are plenty of pain killers that are compatible with breastfeeding.

I was given a combination of tramadol and arcoxia when I was having a lot of pain after giving birth to my daughter.

Please do pursue this rather than just putting up with the pain.
Comment
Cancel
231441_tn?1333896366
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
soma and breastfeeding
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breastfeeding Community Resources