Breastfeeding Community
stopping pumping

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

stopping pumping

so my son is almost 1 on 10/12/09, i have pumped exclus. since he was 3months.  over time bringing in formula due to supply dropping w/ work and busy sched. so missing or cutting back on pump sessions.  i stopped pumping over a week ago but this morning was wondering if it is bad for me to not get some of the left over milk out?  i pumped because my breast have been SLIGHTLY tender.  i got like 1-2 oz.  my supply was so low when i stopped last week, it literally took 2 or 3 days to get 1 or 2 6 oz bottles.  i have not had any leaking issues since i stopped at all either. so is it okay to just stop, or should i try to empty out aftwr a few days?  i am concerned if i try to empty out it isd just going to make me keep producing milk, and i am not in any real pain, just want to know if leaving the milk has any bad effects on my body? thanks for any info.  this is a great forum!! helped me soooo much when ryder was born!  on everyday and learned so much that helped me to continue on as long as i did! thank you!
Congratulations on making it so far with pumping. If you are no longer leaking and not sore it is fine to stop now.
i don't think you can do anything "wrong" or harmful at this point. Just do what feels right. With my first, I weaned rather suddenly after I got sick and couldn't pump because I felt so horrible. I was going to stop anyways because I went back to grad school and worked FT. Almost 2 weeks later, I felt like I HAD to pump. I got 5 oz, and never felt the need again.
With my second, I weaned more gradually and never felt the need to pump again.