Breastfeeding Community
strange yellow sticky discharge whilst breastfeeding

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

I have been breastfeeding for 6 months now after a c section delivery (my second one). I took my baby out in a sling about 9 weeks after the operation and felt a pull in the left side of the scar tissue which caused a bleed. Since then I have been experiencing a continuous discharge varying from brown liquid to a greenish/yellowish sticky stuff. At present it is yellow and clear - and quite sticky. It smells sweet and not unpleasant.

I have been checked out at the hospital - with a transvaginal scan and numerous smear tests and they keep telling me everything is fine and there is no sign of infection. The consultant said he was baffled by this yellow discharge. I have had 2 courses of antibiotics just in case and they seemed to help but then it comes back again. I have tried colloidal silver (an alternative antibiotic) and that helped but then it came back again.

About a week ago I have my first period and it was long and heavy. Afterwards the yellow stuff went away for a few days but shortly returned again.

It is really annoying and I don't know whether it might be connected to the breastfeeding. If you have any suggestions as to what it might be I would really appreciate your comments. I am worried that my wound has come apart inside and might be weeping as it seems to start up on any strong movements and sometimes just picking up my baby can cause some to come away.
unfortunately, i don't have any answers for you. i had a c-sec and breastfed for 7 months with no discharge like you describe. I would also be concerned, and you may want to see another doctor for a second opinion. good luck.