Breastfeeding Community
tips on how to increase milk supply

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

tips on how to increase milk supply

I am desperate because I have seen a major decrease in my milk suply. I have tried putting my daughter on the breast but she cries a lot. I don't know what to. Can anyone help????
Eat lots of oatmeal and drink lots of water. Or you can try fenugreek, alfalfa, brewers yeast, etc. but definitely keep putting baby to breast.
How do you know you've decreased in supply? A few times I've worried about a decrease in supply and it was just a growth spurt. If your baby is getting 6-8 wet diapers a day, gaining weight, he/she is getting enough. My daughter when she's going through a growth spurt fusses and cries quite a bit at the breast, my LC told me it's perfectly normal, she's getting the right amount of dirty diapers and gaining weight. How old is your baby? It also might be if your breasts are full, your nipple flattens and it makes it harder for your baby to grip to, you can try pumping or hand expressing some to soften the nipple and make it easier for him/her to latch. To increase supply I definitely keep putting the baby to the breast, don't supplement, because if you're supplementing even one time it's not giving your body the cue to make more. The lactation consultant I meet with told me only to supplement (if you have to) when breastfeeding is going good. I also drink Mothers Milk Tea when my daughter is going through a growth spurt, I found mine at Price Chopper or most pharmacies will have it.
You might be getting your period too...?  that's what happens to me.  When I am basically PMSing my supply goes down. I just have to power through and keep going.
Ktowne I want to thank you for all your advice. I have seen a LC and she prescribed donperedon but I. Have not taken it yet. I have been breast feeding and pumping. Which. Is working thankgoodness.
NicoleW09 thanks for all your helpful advices.I did try all of that. I ate oatmeal and had fenugreek. Which helped. But I am breastfeeding a bit more. Thsnkgoodness.