Breastfeeding Community
up worried!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

up worried!

So here it goes my baby is on the small side and doesnt weigh what he apparently is supposed to,  he weighed 9.7lb at 3month's and my health visitor came out and observed him feeding,  he stayed on one side f like 5-7minutes and then on other for about 6minutes. I got an appointment tommorrow to get him weighed again. Last time she made me feel so bad mother telling me to top him up on sma. He is healthy reaching all his milestones and wet nappies enough. He doesnt always take a bottle after feeding. I didn't want to give him formula,  that way my supply goes down anyhow. I just don't no what to say to health visitor! Sorry f the essay!
Oooh Also he was born only at 5.8lb :)
Yeah his weight is a little small for his age but he's almost doubled it already and they are supposed to do that around 6 months old. Some people are just small. Are you and his dad on the small side?        I would just grin and nod and tell her you'll do the formula after nursing. Now what I would actually do is just try to increase how often he breastfeeds a little, if he's going 3hrs try to get him to eat 2.5hrs and see if you can't get him to gain a little.
Aww thanku f ur reply,  yeah I didn't really bother topping up with formula,  I got him weighed today he was 10.5lb now,  I'm small and his dad is tall and slender. I'm definitely gunna keep on waking him more f feeds. :)
I agree, I wouldn't formula feed, if he's getting the proper wet/dirty diapers, and gaining 1-2lbs a month, he's doing fine, he IS gaining weight, that's all that matters!
Did u try fenugreek tabs? I took ten last night and today I also managed to pump extra 3 oz inbetween feeding baby :) there really ace! I'm storing some milk incase I get pmt again and my supply might go down. Also Argos sell these great breastfeeding bottles and storage milk packs and spare lids to contain milk f only 14.99 online :)
I haven't tried them yet, I haven't had a supply issue yet, only during growth spurts I really need the extra boost! A woman on here posted as well that once you take them you have to wean yourself from them or they can decrease your supply, do you always use them or no? I'm afraid I'll lose my supply if I take them!
That many at once might be too much. I used fenugreek for a while when I was trying to increase my supply and I never weaned off it and my supply didn't decrease. Not saying its not possible but I've never been told that and didn't have a problem.
tomorrow what did you use for a dosage, and did it work?
I thought it worked great for me. Its been a while so I don't remember exactly but the recommended dosage is 2-3 capsules 3 times a day. I just read a quick article about it and it says as long as you continue to empty out both breast that stopping using fenugreek will not decrease milk production and that using fenugreek can increase milk supply by up to 900% and as quickly as 24-48 hrs.
You are in the UK? the health visitors there are awful, I know from experience! Tell the health visitor to back off. What is important is that your son is following a steady growth curve. Do you have the health record book with the graph in? Even if he is only on the 5th centile as long as his weight is tracking on that 5th centile he is perfectly fine. In fact if he suddenly started jumping up the centiles in a short space of time that would suggest he would be overfeeding. The trouble with many UK health visitors is they expect babies to all follow the same growth patterns but for much of the time their experience is with formula fed babies. Breast fed babies gain weight at a slower and steadier rate. If he is alert, feeding well and producing wet and dirty nappies he is doing great!
Yeah that's the recommended dosage, i'll have to try them during her next growth spurt
Yeah I'm in UK! He is inbetween bottom and second t bottom line now! I don't always take fenugreek just recently I started! Yeah I heard something about there's a growth chart for breastfeed babies called the 'WHO' online and that ref book growth chart is for formula fed babies. Gotta get him weighed next Wednesday again. He very alert and healthy. Tommorrow264 is it bad to take to many fenugreek?
I don't know that its "bad" but its more than the recommended dosage. They recommend taking 2-3 capsules 3 times a day, so that a max of 9 a day and broken up throughout the day.
I'm gunna take 9 from now to be on safe side. :)
about how much is everyone paying for the fenugreek and where are you getting it??

happy_mommy your doing great! Hes gaining weight so your doing something right. every baby is different
I paid $5 at walmart for 100 of them!
Thanku jayhatmom! I pay £10 from Holland and Barrett for 100 capsules!
Thanks Ktowne & happy_mommy. We are a one income household so things are tight but i think we can afford $5 every now and then!