Breastfeeding Community
upset!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, breast and nipple care, feeding techniques, inadequate milk supply, nutrition, proper baby positioning, and work and travel issues.

upset!

So my son is now 5 days old and he still isn't interested in my breast for bf. My milk came in as of yesterday and they are huge and painful. My pump is either faulty or I'm not doing it right. I woke up this morning and cried my eyes out bc i want my son to be on breast milk, but also bc my breasts are so painful. The lactation consultant at the hospital barely worked with me, so I'm over here clueless and emotional. I feel like I'm going to have to find a consultant in my area to show me what to do. I'm so upset....
Ive never breastfed before but I think you need to consult the breastfeeding worker asap. You dont want to stress yourself over this cos it will pass onto your son and make it worse. Just an idea but so you can physically see how to breastfeed have you tried looking up videos on yputube or special nursing sites. I hope this helps, good luck mummy
Try expressing a little milk onto your nipple so he can taste it. Also before you pump lay warm washcloths on your breast to encourage let down. I've nursed 3 babies and it is always frustrating the first few days especially with painful engorgement. Don't supplement if you can because milk works on supply and demand. Te more your baby nurses the more you produce milk that's how ladies with twins can make enough for two. Every bottle of formula your nursing gets is a bottle less your body thinks he will need next time and that's how come some women think they don't have "enough" milk. I am here to answer any questions you have :)
Miranda,  I went to your profile and saw you've fed your son formula for 4 days - so this is a different problem than a baby who refuses to breastfeed.

This is a problem of a child who has learned very well how to bottle feed,  and wants to do that instead of the harder job of breastfeeding - all COMPLETELY normal in bottle fed babies.  It's easier to get the formula out and requires much less coordination than breastfeeding,  so it's hard to get a baby to take breastmilk if he's been formula fed for so long.

I agree that you might need a consultant.  

Best wishes.
Hi.  My first advice is for you to releive the pain.  Manually express milk.  This is really easy and there are instructions online for this.  Put the expressed milk in a bottle.

Whaty pump are you using.  Your pump may not be so good.  Also you may be anxious, which is making it harder to get let down.  Try the manual expression instead.

Do not feed your baby from the bottle any more.  Only offer him your breast. No rubber teat.  If baby doesn't get the hang of it right away, use a 'nursing cup' to feed him from.  This is a small cup with a rounded edge you can feed the baby from - you can also use a small glass, like a shot glass.  You basically hold the baby upright and put the cup just inside his lower lip.  His toungue should then go into the milk and lap it (a bit like a kitten).  It may take a bit of practice, but can feed him quickly once you both get the hang of it.   This will allow him to feed, but break the cycle from the bottle.

Do persist.