'witching hour?'
so, my baby boy is a month old tomorrow, and i'm breastfeeding him, but we seem to have hit the 'witching hour' mark. Between 6pm and 10pm he is really unsettled, and i feed him constantly, and end up giving him some formula, its the only thing i can do to settle him down and drop off to sleep. Is anyone else dealing with this, and how long does this last for? I can't remember dealing with this with my other two kids! My breasts are pretty much empty after constantly feeding for 4-5 hours, thats why i top him up with the formula.
yes!! thats my witching hour too but its only a problem for me during growth spurts, hopefully you get some more answers
I had this with my baby for four months straight,  it may be colic where some baby's just cry and cry,  I used to also try formula but mine never settled after nor use to take the bottle. There are some good things u can buy like infacol or colief,  or maybe some lavender baby drops in a bath! Hope this helps :)
Ok... Im a newb... whats "witching hour"? Im familiar with the Halloween idea of it but what does it mean with breastfeeding?
It's actually common for most BF'ing moms to have a "witching hour" in the evening, it's the time when your milk production is the lowest so baby might get fussy. Milk still comes out, but it's likely slower and a little less than normal, so my baby gets soooo fussy having to work for the milk, I've found lately if I rotate her legs (like rotate her hips in socket) she lovesss it, it's so calming for her, or rub head/play with hair, rub back, etc. to calm the baby down and soothe them while they have to work a little harder to get it out.
Try to drink as much water as you can while you're going through this.  Staying hydrated makes a HUGE difference for me.  I can't say that I have experienced this specifically with my kids, but there have been moments where I think I'm loosing my mind b/c of what felt like constant feedings - and like the other posters have said, it turned out to be growth spurts and they were over just about as soon as they started.  Stick with it!  Best of luck!
Thanks so much everyone, i have tried lots of different settling techniques, and i think what i've been doing wrong is overfeeding him! When he is crying after a feed, and has been burped, i've been putting him back on the breast again when what he actually wants to do is be settled so he can go back to sleep! I've had 3 calm peaceful nights so far, so fingers crossed!

@Bri_1985 'witching hour' is a period in which your baby is crying and really unsettled at usually the same time each day.
Thanks :) I'll be on the look out for this then. Wonder why they call it the "witching hour" lol Just doesnt seem like a good term but I guess I'll find out :) Bubs is being stubborn, he was due yesterday lol but hubby took me for a lil over a mile walk and Im cramping today so we'll see ^_^
You'll see Bri, haha!! That and growth spurts are hard, they get sooo fussy and act hungry but fuss at the breast (at least mine does), but since we've gotten the hang of breastfeeding it's been SO much easier, no fussing and no trouble during growth spurts
glad it's passed!