Burns Community
25 yrs later

Burns are damage to any body tissue that is caused by chemicals, electricity, flammable liquids, flammable gases, fire, heat, hot liquids, fire, radiation, steam or sunlight. Discuss topics including sunburns, rug burns, varying degrees of burns and how to treat them.

25 yrs later

I have 3rd degree burn to about 70% of my body (entire lower body, abd, bilateral finger tips to elbows).  I was 13 months old when this happened and have had 20+ surgeries.  The older I get the more pain I have, mostly in my hands, feet, and knees .  I stretch frequently and take OTC NSAIDS when it gets really bad.  I do not know what to do or where to go (uninsured)  I have talked about this with a couple doctors, but they say I will have to deal with it.  I have an above avg tolerance for pain and at 26 it is usually tolerable, but it is worsening.  I do not want to just treat the symptoms, I want to understand the cause.  Thank you for your time.  
I have 3rd degree burns on 95 percent of my body, ive been dealing witg the same problem for 23 years now. I was told the cause is bcus the scars dont stretch as I grow so they start to pull, unfortunarely there is nothing that can be done. I have found that it helps to keep the scars well moisturized so they are a little more tolerant of stretching than they normally would be. I hope this helps
Thank you for responding!  I am not always the best at keeping my skin moisturized, I shall try to be more attentive.  Do you still a physician for you past injuries?
I was going to shriners children's hospital but they don't accept you after you turn 21 and since most of my surgeries are considered cosmetic my insurance doesn't cover them either so I just either learn tricks to deal with the problems I have or ask my normal doctor for their opinions, there's nothing else I can really do until insurances realize its not cosmetic
Really?  I had surgery about a year ago on my right hand; I had a release done on my thumb, index, and pinky fingers and a bone fusion to my pinky as well.  I was covered under Medicaid at the time. I have learned through others that all you need is a referral to the right physician.  I agree that it is not cosmetic. As I am sure you know third degree burns affect deeper than skin, so as time progresses range of motion decreases and affects daily living.  
Yup, with mine, we don't have any physicians in indiana that would take me as a patient since my scars are so severe. I have to go out of state and have private insurance that won't cover that even if I have a referal. Luckily my huaband is a freemason and shiners are a branch of freemasons also so his lodge is trying to work something out to help me get a release on my back. I'm also 28 weeks pregnant and with my belly stretching the scars on my back are getting too tight. We gave up on my right hand that I no longer have any use of.
I hope you do not mind my asking, are you burned on your stomach as well?  I have always wondered if I could carry a child with my scars.
Im burnes from right under my eyes all the way to my feet, I always wondered if I could carry a baby and it turns out I can lol I just have to be careful not to gain much weight (I've only gained 6 lbs) and I've been on bedrest since I was 8 weeks pregnant to avoid any more stress on the scars. I have to have a c section and can't have an epidural due to scars on my spine so I have to be put to sleep for it. I feel it will all be worth it when I meet my little girl in may
Congrats!!!  I am sure it will be worth while.