Burns Expert Forum
Burn treatment

This forum is for questions and support regarding burn issues such as: Hand burns, Pediatric Burns, Thermal burns, Electrical burns, Chemical burns, Radiation burns, Rehab/Recovery, Pain control, Psychological / Social Recovery, Scar Management, Smoke inhalation, Disaster Management, Skin and Soft Tissue Infections.

Burn treatment

I burned my ring finger at work by accidently spilling boiling hot broccoli soup on it. I couldn't react immediately because I was holding the pot of soup, so I had to set down the soup and then wipe the burning hot liquid away from my finger. I have a blister now the size of a penny, and I'm supposed to be working on a hot, gas-burning range all day. I know the heat will irritate my wound and will probably hurt a lot. I don't think the injury is severe enough to take time off work, so if there anything I can do to make it less painful (or less easily irritated) during work?
General treatment for a finger burn:
-remove the top off of the blister
-can use a over the couter antibiotic ointment
-apply a nonadherent dressing like adaptic followe by a 1 inch roll gauze (can get at most pharmacies)
-ibuprofen is effective for pain control and decrease the inflammation as long the there are no allergies, asthma, kidney disease, or problems with bleeding.  If you are taking ibuprofen and still have breakthrough pain, you can alternate with tylenol.  
-if you are in food preparation or service, there might be some issues with working with an open wound on the hand.
Thank you for your quick reply!
Remove the top of the blister? wow, everyone else has been tellng me to keep it there as long as possible... THanks.
I can wear gloves at work, but that will keep in moisture. I work for 8 hours a day like this- is that bad???
Blister are funny.  

Reasons to remove the blister:
-the blistered skin is not normal
-the fluid in the blister has chemicals that increase inflammation
-the blister prevents your from placing topical antibiotics directly on the wound bed
-blisters decrease the range of motion

Keeping the hand moving and using it are great. The biggest problems we have are people not using the hand.  Listen to your body and don't over do it.
A related discussion, burn blister was started.
A related discussion, Burn Blister Fast Recovery was started.