Burns Community
Burn

Burns are damage to any body tissue that is caused by chemicals, electricity, flammable liquids, flammable gases, fire, heat, hot liquids, fire, radiation, steam or sunlight. Discuss topics including sunburns, rug burns, varying degrees of burns and how to treat them.

Burn

8975431?1364558425
A little over a week ago I steam burned my shoulder close to the arm pit. It took the first layer of skin off and thus did not blister. I can see white raw meat in the center and the rest is red. It is painful because of where it's located and there is some drainage though not a lot. I don't know whether to continue treating it myself with neosporin and bandage or seek medical help. It's about golfball size if it were round. Maybe a little larger. Any advice y'all could give will be greatly appreciated.
Tags: burn
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
How are you? What other symptoms are present? A third degree steam burn usually penetrates deep into the flesh, and may be white, heavily blistered, and numb. If it has been more than a week since and if there is no improvement, it is best that you have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation and management. Removing the  superficial skin or blister may be a risk for infection and additional medication may be indicated. Take care and do keep us posted.
Thanks for taking the time to help me out. It took it's sweet time but it's finally getting better. I went through a period of itchiness but that's stopped now.