Burns Expert Forum
Cigarette burn

This forum is for questions and support regarding burn issues such as: Hand burns, Pediatric Burns, Thermal burns, Electrical burns, Chemical burns, Radiation burns, Rehab/Recovery, Pain control, Psychological / Social Recovery, Scar Management, Smoke inhalation, Disaster Management, Skin and Soft Tissue Infections.

Cigarette burn

didnt know if this belonged here, but i received a pretty bad burn on my arm from a cigarette. (i dont smoke, someone else did it to me) but anyways, its like a 2nd degree burn, ive had it for about a week and a half. ive been cleaning it and neosporin'ing it often. the top layer was white. i was told this would break down. but when i am in the shower, i saw the layer of white practically peal itself off, and underneath was another layer of white. is this supposed to happen? ive been checking and i have no infections, but is it supposed to still be white under the white layer that broke off? thanks.
Tags: silvadene
The white of the burn makes it sound like the burn is full thickness in depth or third degree.  A topical antibiotic such as neosporin or silvadene is appropriate.  I would wash the wound twice daily with water and use a soap such as dial or ivory.   A burn of that depth is going to leave a scar.  Sorry.  
I had a cigarette burn which sounds like yours but I never really treated it. It has left a scar though. If it starts to smell I would see a DR.
I have 2 cig burns from over a year ago, both pritty bad, both took pigment out and hair no longer grows in those circular spots... if you can get prescription medicine to take care of it , do it!