Burns Expert Forum
Facial Burn

This forum is for questions and support regarding burn issues such as: Hand burns, Pediatric Burns, Thermal burns, Electrical burns, Chemical burns, Radiation burns, Rehab/Recovery, Pain control, Psychological / Social Recovery, Scar Management, Smoke inhalation, Disaster Management, Skin and Soft Tissue Infections.

Facial Burn

I burned my face 3 days ago when i spilled 151 proof alcohol on it and accidentaly lit it on fire. I put it out as quickly as possible, but not before I had burned a majority of my face. For the most part, it doesnt seem too serious, there seem to be three separate types of areas. for the most part there is jsut dry skin peeling off. There are some areas where i peel off large pieces of dry brown skin and under it is smooth pink skin (like under a scab) and in some spots the skin is bright red (doesnt look like new skin). Also there are a couple of dime sized spots where scabs (clear scabs, not like dried blood) have formed and under it are soft pink areas sensitive to the touch (again definitely not new skin).

I cannot tell how severe these burns are. I have done almost nothing to treat it other than washed my face under cold water when it happened. There was a very severe stinging pain accompanying the burn for about 30 minutes (when the pain meds kicked in). I've kept gauze over the more serious side so it didnt come in contact with anything and everything. I do not recall any blisters forming, but they may have ripped immediately.

Please let me know what i can do to treat this. how can i make sure it heals quickly and without scarring. and also, how can i reduce the chance of infection. Also, a disgnostic on the severity of the burn would help.

thanks in advance
Facial burns in general:

The face is a rather privileged area due to a very rich blood supply.  Due to this rich blood supply, many burns of the face very well.   Burn surgeons use a variety of treatment on the face to help healing. Some of these include: bacitracin, Bactroban, Vaseline, or Collagenase.  There is not evidence that one treatment is better than another, but what most agree that keeping the tissue moist with one of these topical medications is the key.   One should keep one’s beard shaved, and use an antimicrobial soap like Dial or a mild soap like Ivory.   Sometime the outer layer of the eyes (cornea) can get scratched or a condition known as a corneal abrasion.  A corneal abrasion can get infected and create a vision threatening problem. If one has pain in the eyes or suspects an eye injury, please see an eye doctor ASAP.    Face burns often heal very well without scars.  

All face burns are potentially serious and you should be checked at a center who cares for a lot of these injuries.  You should contact a local burn center, and get seen in their clinic.  
Accidentally spilled and lit? Are you sure it wasn't a shot glass already lit? I have heard of more than one person burning themselves this way.
A friend of mine spilled some acetone on his face. He flushed it off and put some Neosporin on it and kept it on for 24 hours. His face turned red with some blisters. Was this a burn or a reaction to the Neosporin. I had read somewhere that you can be allergic to Neosporin. Also can you tell from a blood test whether it is a burn or reaction. Thank You.
Likely this is the Acetone.  
A related discussion, How long to heal was started.
A related discussion, Eye Treatment was started.
A related discussion, Ciggarette burns in eyes was started.