Burns Expert Forum
Glycolic Burn ~ Really bad, please help!
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding burn issues such as: Hand burns, Pediatric Burns, Thermal burns, Electrical burns, Chemical burns, Radiation burns, Rehab/Recovery, Pain control, Psychological / Social Recovery, Scar Management, Smoke inhalation, Disaster Management, Skin and Soft Tissue Infections.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Glycolic Burn ~ Really bad, please help!

I gave my friend a facial 2 days ago. I used a 30% glycolic peel on for 8 minutes, then used a microdermabrasion cream that contains magnesium crystals for about 30 seconds. Then washed off with cold water, a towel. I followed with a mineral hydrating face mask left on for 10 minutes.
She called that night complaining of discomfort, tightness and redness in her face. The next morning she had small scabs in certain areas, and the morning after that she has a few small blisters.

These are both products I've used before on her numerous times but never together. I've even left the glycolic on for longer periods of time in the past. What caused this reaction and what should she use to heal her face as fast as possible?
Thank you for any help!
Related Discussions
303398_tn?1193102884
The face has a very rich blood supply which allows it to heal very well.  We in burn care will say that the face is a privileged area.   A chemical peel and dermabrasions are nothing more that a controlled partial thickness injury to the skin.  These chemical peels typically use an acid like glycolic acid.  It has been described that these treatments can produce scarring, infection, swelling, changes in skin tone, and cold sore outbreaks.  We see these types of patients with some routine in our clinic and we place them in glucan pro and we’ve had good results. There is no scientific evidence  that glucan pro is superior to any other topical agents, but our patients have been happy.  

Why did this happen?  Too many variables.  Skin type. Concentration of agent not as labeled.  Duration of exposure.  
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, How to remedy glycolic acid burns in the mouth was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank