Burns Expert Forum
Grandfather

This forum is for questions and support regarding burn issues such as: Hand burns, Pediatric Burns, Thermal burns, Electrical burns, Chemical burns, Radiation burns, Rehab/Recovery, Pain control, Psychological / Social Recovery, Scar Management, Smoke inhalation, Disaster Management, Skin and Soft Tissue Infections.

Grandfather

I wrote to u once before about my grandfather and the propane accident that blew up and burned him. its been 2 wks. I found out that 25% of his body was burnt and that yes he did have inflammatory busies.they put him on a respirator and he is still him the coma and still on the respirator. they did skin graphs on him 4 days later on his arms and hands.Then about 3 days later his heart started beating 250 beats per min.they had to triple to dose to make his heart slow down.eveything was ok until about 2 days ago when his heart started going crazy again.doctors believe that he has some kind of infection. They said that its probably the dead skin that is on his chest thats causing the infection.They scheduled surgery for the skin graphs for his chest to remove all the dead skin in 2 days. Is it possible that when they remove the dead skin and do the graphs that the infection will go away and his heart will be okay again?they said that they dont know when they are going to bring him out of his coma.My question is that the doctors told us that the safest period of time that they could keep him in the coma would be 2 weeks. It could be 3 more weeks before they decide to stop the coma process. Will he be able to wake up after they stop it? but will he be able to wake up at all if they keep him in for longer?  is there a chance that the infection will just spread too far and that he will not be able to survive it? One of the nurses was cleaning his bandages and he took his whole are and pushed the nurse away. why would he push the nurse away unless he was in pain or could feel it? Does that mean that hes awake or something or can really feel the pain even though hes in the coma? he has also shook his head a few times to people that talk to him.
If this were one of our patients in our unit we would prefer to use the word “anesthesia”  rather than “coma.”   Anesthesia clearly implies the intent, and that is to provide relief of pain, sedation, and amnesia.   With a burn this serious, the is a very real possibility that he may not survive this injury.   If they stop the medications he will slowly wake up, but that is something that neither the doctors or the family want at the present time.   Even though he is getting a protracted anesthesia he will have moments when he will move.   He is also getting drugs that cause amnesia so that if he gets light in his medications and dose experience discomfort he will not have any memory of the discomfort.  

The sooner the dead skin can get off the better he will be.