Burns Community
Life long pain for 3rd degree burns

Burns are damage to any body tissue that is caused by chemicals, electricity, flammable liquids, flammable gases, fire, heat, hot liquids, fire, radiation, steam or sunlight. Discuss topics including sunburns, rug burns, varying degrees of burns and how to treat them.

Life long pain for 3rd degree burns

I am a life long burn patient.  I was in a tractor fire when i was 4 years old and recieved many 3rd degree burns on 85 per of my body.  I am now 34 years old.  i went through all the skin grafting, releases, reconstruction and rehabilitation. (skin garments, neck brack and face masks etc)  Recently, I have notice that I have had some very irritable numbness (like pins and needles) in my burned areas and sometimes I get really hot sensations run through those areas.  Could this possibly be a long term effect of damage to my nerves due to my accident such a long time ago.  Because I havnt had problems like these since when I first got burnt during the healing stage.
Is this possible?  could you tell me what my nerves are doing or not doing to my burnt areas?
Billy
I am very sorry to hear this but the hot sensations are definitely due to neurological causes and may be it is the damage to the nerves that is causing this. These can be due to heat burns, metabolic disorders like diabetes, hypothyroidism, and hypoparathyroidism. They can also be due to peripheral vascular disease, vitamin B12 deficiency or malnutrition.

Get your blood sugar and thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the symptoms are gone or not.

In case the symptoms persist then please consult a neurologist as it can be due to some neurological disorder. Hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Surely this could be due to the damage to your nerves, same as what Buphinder Kaur said there.