Burns Expert Forum
burns to feet

This forum is for questions and support regarding burn issues such as: Hand burns, Pediatric Burns, Thermal burns, Electrical burns, Chemical burns, Radiation burns, Rehab/Recovery, Pain control, Psychological / Social Recovery, Scar Management, Smoke inhalation, Disaster Management, Skin and Soft Tissue Infections.

burns to feet

I was in a grease fire in July of 1992. I was burned over 24% of my body--both feet, right calf, left back of thigh from knee, buttocks, and left hand. I've done really well over the years--it took a couple of years to walk without tingling and with shoes-not "moon shoes" as I called them--thick padding with velcro straps. I was at UAB for 22 days and after coming home returned once weekly for pictures and care. I have a skin graft on arch of left foot and a graft on foot that covers my big toe and the next two toes--I've handled these burns very well emotionally, but lately my feet after a long time standing hurt and swell around my ankles. Sometimes it takes a full day and a half to recover from the swelling. I  swell around my face; especially on my eyelids. I've had my heart checked--and it's okay. I'm 49 now and I wonder if it's the burns on my feet--circulation-or possibly my kidneys that may be retaining fluid. I have fibroid tumors and I urinate many times during the day with sometimes not getting all the urine out. I also have extreme itchy skin that is severly dry and drives me crazy because I can't get comfortable. I'm still having a menstrual cycle and use natural progesterone 2   weeks out of the month. What should I do or can I do? Polly49
Do you wear pressure garments?

As far as the dry skin: is this is the grafts and donor sites your need to provide a moisturizer tothe area.  Elta is great and one can buy it anywhere.  A very small amount applied twice a day will keep the areas from getting dry and flaky.  Also this should help with some of the itching.  If that does not help or you still have itching, an antihistamine such as Zyrtec, Allegra, or Benadryl often helps.  Finally, one can apply Doxepin cream to help with some of the itching.