infecting a burn
hello, I received a 3rd degree burn about 2 weeks ago. it is healing normally and has a scab over the white underskin. it was certainly a full depth burn, it never pussed or blistered. I am wondering if it is possible for it to get infected at this point in the healing process?
I am travelling to costa rica in a few days for a surf trip. Water quality can be poor there and certain infections would occur on open wounds. But I am not educated enough in medical science to know whether this wound counts as an open wound or not. It has been healing for 2 weeks, is that long enough? should i take extra care and bandage the hell out of it before every surf? please help...
What did you say was the name of your insurance company?

I'd sure like to be the named beneficiary.

The answer to your question is "probably not", however the consequences of the unlikely have a high probability of death.  Perhaps the chance of a problem is one in twenty five. Imagine a revolver with twenty four empty cylinders and one live round in the chamber.

You spin the cylinder, pull the trigger, ans as Clint Eastwood says:

"Are you feeling Lucky?"

Without examining your wound it is impossible to assess the degree of healing, however a third degree burn (if that is what it is) will not heal in two weeks. If the scab holds and flexure does not break containment, you might be O.K.

If not I sure hope your girlfriend spends the money she will get when you die wisely.
....why would this result in death???
I was being a bit dramatic, and I apologize if I seemed to making light of your problem.

Third degree burns, by definition, go deeply. I'm not sure where yours is or whether any veings were compromised. Any infection that gets into the bloodstream has the potential to migrate to the heart, causing a condition known as endocarditis, necessitating a pig-valve replacement, for starters, and a lifetime of coumadin. Hell in a very small place.

If you had broad-spectrum antibiotics to take along and used them, this might be avoided, but in a foreign country, with dubious access to medical care the situation is different.

I was trying hard to use "tough love" to get you to postpone your trip a few weeks, which would be the reasonable and prudent thing to do.

I am basing my assessment on your comment about a "third degree burn".

As I stated, if the wound remains encapsulated, and there is no blood-contact with a pathogen, you should be fine.