Burns Expert Forum
sarah

This forum is for questions and support regarding burn issues such as: Hand burns, Pediatric Burns, Thermal burns, Electrical burns, Chemical burns, Radiation burns, Rehab/Recovery, Pain control, Psychological / Social Recovery, Scar Management, Smoke inhalation, Disaster Management, Skin and Soft Tissue Infections.

sarah

i got burnt 2 years ago with boiling water, i have a hypertrophic scar covering the whole top of my shoulder. i've been told nothing can be done on the nhs to make it appear better, is there anything that can be done private or nhs?
Tags: diprosone
There are several things that can be done, but it is not likely that NHS will not want to do anything for them.  The simplest is a simple excision of the area and a primary closure.  Another option is the placement of an artificial skin called Integra.  When this material is implanted it reduces scar formation.  The perhaps and most complicated  option is a tissue expander.  Tissue expanders take about 6 months wih weekly inflations, and have a complication of about 25%

The real reason why payers won't pay becomes an issue of is the scar cosmetic not appealing of does the sar limit function.  You might have a better chance getting NHS to approve a scar revision if you can document that the scar perhaps limit the range of motion of the shoulder.
Well in late August 2007 i dropped boiling water on my lower thigh and its the size of my hand.

It was first degree but it looks awful as its taken away my pigmentated skin. Some parts have gone very dark and others have gone white.

I desperately want to fix this as im depressed. My doctor prescibed diprosone to me just a few weeks ago which is like 3rd Jan 2007. Nothing has happened and its still dark. im olive and its like a chocolate dark burn...

Also will my new lighter skin darken up as when i stand its milk white ...i desperately need answers...

what treatment is available? i heard of tatooing the skin with my skin colour but i dont trust it... what about the fraxel laser? ive used it on my face and its taken my other scars on my face..will it work on my leg??My doc says it should have lightened up by now???

Please help..
A related discussion, treatment for boiling water burn on child's leg? was started.