COPD User Group
COPD and Disability
About This Group:

group for COPD and emphysema adults. Including people who are on home oxygen. We get no real instruction from our doctors about our use of oxygen (when you don't have to be hooked to it); vacationing with your equipment. A forum where we can discuss with others our experiences and share ideas and questions about our breathing problems and how we cope day to day.

Founded by indyhoosier on October 2, 2009
27 members

COPD and Disability

Hello and I know there is no sure fire answer to this question BUT I am hoping for someone to say something that will give me an idea of what to expect.

I was diagnosed with COPD 10 years ago. I quit smoking 6 years ago. I was able to keep my job using vacation days and sick days when I wasn't able to work.

I have gotten worse and was forced into quitting earlier this month.

I talked with my Pulmonologist and he said my COPD was severe and my lung function test from a year ago showed 37%.

Does anyone here have any clue if they think I'll get approved for SS Disability or will I have to get a lawyer to help me?

I can't walk over 20 feet without being breathless, I have to stop doing everything including bathing and getting dressed to catch my breath. I'm a newlywed of 3 months and we've bought a wheelchair so we can continue to go to parks etc.

Anyone with any ideas? Thanks for your time!

God Bless You All
1 Comment
I know what you are going through. What an awful thing to happen after such a short time of marriage. You will have to get a lawyer. I was like you and they denied me. I was lucky because in nine months I was 65. I just took the regular retirement. Medicare will help pay for a hoverround or a scooter. Exercise is the best medicine. You will soon do lots better if you move  and walk as soon and as much as possible. Get into a  good rehab. That is so important too. It was a life saver to me. I am sorry to have been away from my pc  this  long. God Bless and keep you
Bjenmen commented on HIVES
Oct 03
down
Sep 25 by laddie104
Eveningsun joined this group
Welcome them!
Dec 29