Doees COPD cause hoarseness ?
Hi Group,

My name is Jim and I'm new to this group. I've been reading some posts and it seems one can get some good, reliable information here.

I am a 60 year old male. I was recently diagnosed with mild COPD based on my LFT (spirometry). I've smoked since I was about 19 years old and used all kinds of tobacco products except chewing tobacco. I quit about a one and a half week ago. I seem to have more of the chronic bronchitis component rather than emphysema. I have a cough with a lot of mucous but only mild breathlessness upon exertion.

My question is about hoarseness. My voice gets lower in pitch and kind of "croaky". It's intermittent, seems to get worse as the day goes on and seems to happen after I haven't talked in a few minutes or so. I've had this for about six months. I do not have a sore throat or GERD. I also have sleep apnea and use a CPAP device. I have high cholesterol and take a statin which controls it well. I'm not taking any medications for the COPD.

Should I be concerned about the hoarseness? Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me.

Regards,
Jim
I have that too. I think it is the medications. Inhalers can coat the throat. Do you have a spacer? If not get one from your medical suppliers. Rinse your mouth after every use. Oxygen can cause a dry throat which can cause that too. Since you have used a lot of  tobacco products, you might want to get a screening for throat pol-lips and or cancer. Just to rule it out. good luck and God Bless
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
Brightsdisease2012 commented on Not So Good
Nov 07
Bjenmen commented on HIVES
10/14
down
09/14 by laddie104