Cancer Surgery Expert Forum
Atypical cells found in biopsy

Questions in the Cancer Surgery forum cover surgery for all types of cancers.

Atypical cells found in biopsy

I recently had a mammatome biopsy to investigate a cluster of microcalcifications.  I was told the procedure would be pain free and simple.  It was anything but.  It was incredibly painful and I am quite bruised from the procedure.  The doctor who performed the procedure called me the day after the surgery with good news - everything was benign, only to call me back five minutes later to say that she had made a mistake and that some of the cells  in the biopsy were atypical and that she was recommending additional surgeries.  She wants to go back in and attach a wire to the metal clip that was left at the biopsy site so the surgeon would know right where to go.  Then there would be another surgery where the doctor would remove more tissue around the area to "clean out"  more possible atypical cells.  Is all this extra surgery really necessary to remove the atypical cells?  From what I understand atypical does not necessarily mean they will turn into cancer cells.  I am losing faith in the doctors responsible for my care.  
Diagnosis: Type of Cancer?
:  
Breast
Date of Diagnosis
:  
May 09, 2008
Type of Surgery
:  
mamatome biopsy
Stage/Size of Tumor
:  
cluster of microcalcifications
Location of Tumor(s)
:  
1 breast
Age of Patient/Pre or Post Menopause?
:  
44 pre menopause
Sex of Patient:
:  
Female
General Geographic Location
:  
Midwest
Age of First Pregnancy (If applicable)
:  
26
Number of Pregnancies (If Applicable)
:  
3
Have you received hormone replacement therapy?
:  
No
Please list all of your current medications:
:  
none
Please describe your alcohol and/or smoking history:
:  
non-smoker/non-drinker
I honestly would go for second opinion especially when they called to tell you that everything is OK and than called to say that you have atypical cells.
Surgery is the last resort.
Why fix something that is not broken? I have similar situation with my doctor of Oncology. They do not know what to do with me because I was allergic to one chemo they prescribed for me and now want to experiment with another surgery and different chemo for my RARE cancer of the ovary..  I said NO!
And I am on my own. But I feel great. Don't wait. Sunes
I am going down the same path in a few day but I would get a second opinion if I had the same problems best of luck